VMware Communities
sundown57
Contributor
Contributor

external HDD

First off I am not at all computer savvy and only just yesterday learned of VMware fusion. I did follow a video I found and managed to get windows 10 up and running on my wife's MacBook pro.  Problem is her photo collection makes Flickr look like an amateur, and her file origination skills would make a true hoarder cringe. She has a 2015 MacBook pro with a 120 HDD. I want to set it up so anything she saves on the windows side goes automatically to an external hard drive. Does anyone know of a video or tutorial I can follow on how to both connect an external and tell VMware to use only that?   thanks   

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pamplemoussemk2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

I don't know about any video talking about this. But I think that as for any USB devices connected to the host computer, VMWare Fusion will detect it and ask you on which system you would "connect" it: on the virtual system run inside VMWare Fusion, or on the true host MacOS system. It should be easy. In example, here is the dialog box displayed when I plug in a USB hard drive (sorry, my system is configured in french, but I think you see the point): 

Capture d’écran 2021-03-11 à 10.45.08.png

Regards.

0 Kudos
sundown57
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I did figure out yesterday that plugging in an external will connect to windows. Now I need to figure out how to get her to save stuff to it and not to the mac hard drive. 

0 Kudos