VMware Communities
expresso19
Contributor
Contributor

error when trying to increase hard disk size

i am using fusion (the newest version 2) to run Windows XP Home Edition on my macbook pro (os x). i am trying to increase the hard drive size using the settings and the slider to increase it from 10Gb to 13Gb, but i get this error : There is not enough space on the file system for the selected operation.

i have 7.65Gb free on my macintosh hard drive so i don't understand why i cant increase my virtual machine,. i am not very computer savvy in any way, so i need a simple explanation that could help me solve this problem. i am only using the windows to run Autocad 2010 and Office for work. so its not like i have a bunch of crap on the virtual machine, but its full. i originally set the virtual machine up with 10Gb, and haven't had a problem till recently when i upgraded to the new AutoCAD. i guess its a little big. i have less then 500Mb available to me on my windows side.

any help is greatly appreciated, because i am getting extremely frustrated. i've searched through the other discussions but nothing matches this error.

thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
xdeveshx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Friend,

Did you cheked the box :"Allocate all disk space now" during creation of VM. If yes then VM used the space with file size and not allowing to expand it.

There are two option in VM to you disk file.

1.) Auto expand ( where you can create HDD size more then your physical HDD ex;- 250 GB disk where you have only 20 GB physical DIsk) This file starts around from 280KB as expand upon recuirement,

Note:- its expanding as per need but not shrinking by itself, no matter if you format the VM disk.

2.) Fixed disk:- VM will allocate the original space during creation of VM from your host disk for the VM HDD file (*.VMDK)

Note:- You can not extra space more then your physical disk.

Please confirm me above info, so that i can help you easily.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

, 's guess, that you've also checked "pre-allocate" seems most likely. I'll also note that <8 GB free space isn't very much, when you consider a virtual machine and any snapshots or auto-protect files that might begin taking up space (or, if you're not pre-allocated, any data added into the virtual machine). Mac OS X will experience performance problems when your free space drops below ~5%...

You should also see this Knowledge Base article: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004071

You'll need to use a third-party utility to let Windows recognize the increased space, once you're able to increase the size.

0 Kudos