VMware Communities
shantna
Contributor
Contributor

error message: unable to open file ... One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot.

Yesterday my vmware fusion started crashing and going really slow. I tried to reboot the mac and it wouldn't quit the vmware fusion, and the internal quit commands didn't work - I didn't know about the Option menu until afterwards - so I powered down the system. Now I get the above error message when I try to restart the vmware fusion snapshot. I also tried to rollback with similar results.

Help! I can upload other files if necessary, but y'all seem to start with wanting logs, so here are a few - I wasn't sure which ones would be most useful. There's one more called vmware-2.log but the file limit is three.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Close Fusion. Delete any .lck files and folders in your virtual machine's folder. Then run Fusion again and open the VM and power on.

0 Kudos
shantna
Contributor
Contributor

I did it and it still doesn't open, same exact error message.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did it and it still doesn't open, same exact error message.

You need to close Fusion and open the target Virtual Machine Package and delete any .lck folder(s)/file(s)

Have a look at[d-1110] or for help in locating and opening the Virtual Machine's Package.

0 Kudos
shantna
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I deleted all the .lck files and folders, I rebooted and then restarted VMWare and I get the same error message.

0 Kudos
shantna
Contributor
Contributor

here is the bundle list of files - is this helpful to figure out why my virtual machine is still giving me this error message while the .lck files are all deleted?

0 Kudos
shantna
Contributor
Contributor

shoot - I see another .lck file in there, but I had deleted all of them. I deleted it and tried again and still got the error...

0 Kudos
javamate
Contributor
Contributor

So has anyone found a solution to this? I am having a similar problem. It started happening after the physical machine lost power. I am not sure if Fusion was running at that time or not, but I suspect it was. I've removed all *.lck files from the VM package but still get the message that "One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot."

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at the "Get a file listing of the .vmwarevm bundle" section of and then with Fusion closed get a file listing and also attach the .vmx configuration file and vmware.log files as well. Archive them and attach the archive.zip file.

0 Kudos