VMware Communities
traveler1234
Contributor
Contributor

dsauth32.dll virus

On  2008 aluminum macBook, running 10.6.x, VmWare Fusion 2.x, and WinXp, and discovered virus called dssauthor32.dll.

Will a simple "System Restore" on winxp work - I think virus got me back in Nov 2010 and I don't use WinXP very often, just to do my quicken monthly bank statement reconciliation and one other application.  Or do I have to re-install WinXp?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

discovered virus called dssauthor32.dll. ... Will a simple "System Restore" on winxp work

Not necessarily as the System Restore Points can also be infected however it is one of the things you can try.

If you have current User Data Backups you could also Revert to Snapshot in VMware Fusion as another way to try and resolve the issue.

The real question is why do you not have an AntyVirus program installed and up to date to try and prevent and or remove things such as this?

0 Kudos
traveler1234
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response.

I do use an anti-virus program, avg and it was not picked up even though I regulary update the avg.

Second, I seldom use WinXp, at most once a month to run Quicken and not familar with 'Snapshot' app on wmware Fusion.

I was able to locate the dsauth32.dll file and rename it and no longer have any error messages when I boot WinXP and/or run any apps in Win OS now.

Since it now appears to be 'OK' [?], should I take a snapshot of same in case of future problems?

0 Kudos