VMware Communities
chekako
Contributor
Contributor

drag-and-drop

I see a major problem with drag and drop.
Even with drag-and-drop disabled, simply dragging (not dropping) any mac item over a vm window locks up fusion.
All fusion windows and vm windows become undesponsive (beach-balled) for several minutes.

Any way to prevent this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Need a more information - host and guest os versions and configuration, fusion version, etc.

0 Kudos
chekako
Contributor
Contributor

I think I found a "fix", but first to answer your questions:

Fusion 12.2.1 pro on MBP with macos 12.1. I saw that happen with the two guests I had opened at the time, Win 10 and Fedora 35 desktop, all up-to-date, vmware tools installed and drag-drop enabled.
Possibly important: iCloud drive desktop/documents integration was enabled.

I normally run those guests maximized so I never drag anything across, just this morning I ran those in windows, and it happened as soon as I tried dragging some files from desktop over the guests, and I got the beach ball as soon as the dragged item entered the guest window.

Fusion and all guests was completelly undersponsive, I could not even force-quit it, I had to reboot. Then I disabled dran and drop for both guests, and tried dragging again with same result (freeze), and I left Fusion frozen to see if it ever recovers, and it eventually did 5-10 min later. I repeated this few times with different guests, with same result.

After some experimenting I finally disabled iCloud drive desktop/documents integration, and dragging "works" now, no longer freezes Fusion.

I cannot re-enable the iCloud integration now (too much data to sync) just to test if the problem comes back, so I cannot confirm that this is the cause. But if anyone else cares to try, please let me know if you see the same issue.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Are your VM's located in a folder that is synced by iCloud?

If so, then it is highly recommended to move them out of there as that particular scenario is not compatible with iCloud and the risk of corrupting your virtual machines is very real.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
chekako
Contributor
Contributor

no of course not, that would be silly 🙂

I keep those in a dir off of home ~/vm, not in Documents or Desktop which are subject to cloud sync.

the vm dir is also excluded from time machine backups.

0 Kudos