VMware Communities
admin
Immortal
Immortal

double disk usage from old snapshot

Hello,

I've encountered an issue with a vm in (Fusion 2.0.5) i'm hoping someone here knows a good way to fix. I've been using fusion since back in 1.x days for a XP vm. The orig VM came from an old laptop I imaged onto an ESX host with converter then migrated over to my mac and into fusion. I don't really recall using snapshots at any point and have autoprotect turned off.

Today while I was gearing up to backup my VM onto an external drive I noticed the total size of the VM's folder was a larger than the reported disk size within the VM. The VM sees a disk just over 50GB, with apox 11.5gb free at the moment, but the VM folderin the mac is reporting almost 79gb. Since I've not been using snapshots this struck me as irregular and I started looking deeper into the issue and experiementing a bit. What i found is it appears my orig vmdk COW files have not changed since Sep 2008 and I had files under a vmwarevm package folder looking like snapshot files. What's strange is the files are ending with a 000002 which leads me to believe I've done at least two snapshots which could be and I simply don't recall doing it. That said, I don't want them anymore, but when I open up snapshots in fusion, it only shows current state for the VM with no option to remove any snapshots. To experiement I went ahead and created a new snapshot and saw fusion created new files ending in postfixes 000001, which seems to indicate fusion has lost track of where its at with snapshots on this VM.

Now I'm left wondering if the only way to get rid of these snapshots is to export the VM back to ESX or Workstation and then back again to fusion and a new VM with a new VMDK.

I've attached file lists and logs for my VMs to the post.

Thoughts?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I've been using fusion since back in 1.x days for a XP vm. The orig VM came from an old laptop I imaged onto an ESX host with converter then migrated over to my mac and into fusion

I think this accounts for your setup - if I recall correctly, Fusion 1.x didn't touch the existing vmdk but still referenced it. I don't remember what 2.0.5 does in a similar situation.

One simple solution which will work is to use Converter to export your disk again. A simple solution which might not work (I don't remember 2.0.5 well at this point) is to delete the new snapshot - if the 000002 is leftover from a failed snapshot consolidation, deleting the new snapshot should have the side effect of cleaning up the 000002 as well. An advanced solution which will work is to use vmware-vdiskmanager to consolidate the vmdks together, then point the vmx at the resulting vmdk.

0 Kudos