VMware Communities
walterav
Contributor
Contributor

desktop to desktop large file transfer ''XP to LEOPARD'' disappears

Macpro 10.5.5, vmware fusion 2.0, xp sp3

When running old vmware 1.3, and xp SP2, I was able to copy gigabytes of files, from XP desktop to LEOPARD desktop like 14 gigabytes no problem.

With new VMWARE the file transfer dialogue just disappears half way, and in the end no files are copied...

Anyone?

Message was edited by: etung to fix subject line

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What method are you using to copy the files (e.g. network copy, drag-and-drop, HGFS shared folder, etc.)? How much free space is there in the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
walterav
Contributor
Contributor

drag-and-drop

from XP virtual machine to native leopard.

xp image=60gb

there is enough disk space on all disks...

0 Kudos
walterav
Contributor
Contributor

The leopard partition itself has only 10 gigaytes free,

But the virtual machine image is on a different drive with 230 gigabytes free...

Any Idea?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's not clear, but you seem to be saying you're trying to drag-and-drop 14 GB from the guest to the host, which only has 10 GB free.

0 Kudos
walterav
Contributor
Contributor

The USERS directory of the leopard/unix operating-system is moved to a different harddrive, so the desktop and documents etc other user dir's are relocated to another harddrive with more than 200GB available, so there not on the same leopard partition anymore...

Sorry forgot to say, otherwise you would think that there are only 10GB available when 14GB is coming to the desktop...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The user folder may be on a different hard drive, but we might still be going through a temporary folder on the primary drive. I don't know if this is the case, but it wouldn't surprise me, and it's definitely true of the reverse (e.g. even if you drag-and-drop a file from the host to, say, E:, it still goes through %TEMP%, which is usually on C:).

In general, I wouldn't use drag-and-drop for large files (because of unexpected issues like this) - I would instead use a HGFS shared folder or network share.

0 Kudos
walterav
Contributor
Contributor

It's not the guest operating system that has the user folder on a different virtual harddrive. It's the HOST leopard... that has the USERS folder on a different harddrive.

Or is vmware using the Library folder instead of the USERS\testuser\Library folder?

BTW application sharingnore file sharing / desktop sharing is not enabled in the virtual machine... only desktop to desktop transfer is working...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's not the guest operating system that has the user folder on a different virtual harddrive. It's the HOST leopard... that has the USERS folder on a different harddrive.

Understood. I was using the guest example of something I know to be true.

Or is vmware using the Library folder instead of the USERS\testuser\Library folder?

My bet would actually be on /tmp, not /Library. As I said, I don't know if this is true, but I suspect it is.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

My bet would actually be on /tmp, not /Library. As I said, I don't know if this is true, but I suspect it is.

It is a know fact that Host to Guest (H2G) Drag and Drop (DnD) Transfers do first write to a Temp File Location within the Guest and because of this it can be a problem if enough free disk space is not available due to first having to write to a Temp File Location within the Guest first however I believe Guest to Host (G2H) is a different story...

From the tests I've preformed it looks like a DnD from G2H does not first write to a Temp File Location as it does when doing H2G and does indeed write directly to the target destination...

Using two different utilities that monitor low level filesystem activity as well as monitoring the read write activity of the physical disks at the hardware level as well as free/used space values monitored during the transfers and base on the results I received/observed I'm convinced that G2H DnD is directly written to the Target Destination.

To put the tests in perspective I used 2 FireWire External Drives, one containing the Leopard OS and Fusion 2.0 Virtual Machine running Windows XP and a 1 GB Test File and the second FireWire Drive as the destination for the DnD. This enabled me to watch the Read/Write LED on both drives. I booted my MBP from the FireWire Drive containing Leopard and Fusion with Virtual Machine with the second FireWire Drive attached as the DnD Destination.

The results of the software base monitoring supported the hardware based monitoring in that there were no changes in the free/used space values of either the Host's System Volume or the Guest's System Volume only the DnD Destination second FireWire drive nor where there any files created at the filesystem level on the Host's System Volume of within the Guest at the start of the transfer however the only change it the state of the filesystem was an entry made with the direct path to the second FireWire drive and during the entire transfer of the 1 GB Test File the Read/Write LED on the Host's System Volume stayed Blue, which is the Read Color for this drives LED and the Read/Write LED on the Second FireWire Drive, the DnD Destination, it stayed Red which is the Write Color for this drives LED.

I'm not saying that based upon my tests/observations that this is absolutely a fact as it's know for H2G but it sure seems conclusive that G2H transfers are handled differently however for my two cents I think the failure is coming down to something else.

I totally agree with Eric in that using VMware Shared Folders or a Network Share is much better when trying to move large amounts of files or folders in either direction via the Drag & Drop feature. For small amounts and or just for ease of use DnD is a nice feature however for high volume transfers networking in the better choice to avoid possible issues surrounding DnD.

0 Kudos
walterav
Contributor
Contributor

But it did work :smileysilly:, it could also be xp sp3 vs sp2.

But from a security point, will network transfer be less secure than D2D, more vulnarable to internet attacks "another network adapter etc"? I just want the most secure way any thoughts?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

But from a security point, will network transfer be less secure than D2D, more vulnarable to internet attacks "another network adapter etc"? I just want the most secure way any thoughts?

If you're worried about security, use a host-only network. This type of network can only be accessed by the host and other virtual machines, not by anything external.

0 Kudos
walterav
Contributor
Contributor

Till now portions of 7 gigabyte seems to go fine...

But another bug...

The percentage measuring "round pie" of the copy proccess is crippled when doing large filetransfers like that... It shows 100% after the first file has been copied... but there are still xx more files to go...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Large Drag & Drop operations can be problematic and IMO it is highly recommended and strongly suggested that DnD operations be used for small transfers and you will have less issues just using normal Networking methods for larger transfers or using the VMware's Shared Folder feature.

0 Kudos