VMware Communities
chuckomoss
Contributor
Contributor

data cannot be read or written / vmdk failed

Greetings,

My host is a MB Pro with OS X - 10.5.8, the guest is Windows XP - SP3, VMWare Fusion 2.0.6 and I'm looking for help with two areas, 1) Challenges creating a reliable backup VM 2) What could cause the vmdk file to crash.

This morning and last night when trying to copy my VMware Fusion file to an external hard drive as a backup copy, I recieved the following message, "Finder cannot complete the operation because some data cannot be read or written."

I have no idea why this particular VM file cannot be copied. I was able to copy an earlier version a few weeks ago.

Additionally, I have woken up twice this month to the following message:

"Operation on file .vmdk failed. If the file resides on a remote system, please make sure your network connection and the server where the disk resides are functioning properly. If the file resides on removable media, reattach the media. Choose Abort to terminate the session. Choose Continue to forward the error to the guest operating system."

When I choose > , then I would get the following message:

VMFusion cannot sync with disk before abort. Disk may be inconsistent.

I had to re-build my VM the last time (September) to get past the "failed" error. Since the upgrade to VMWare Fusion 2.06 (yesterday), this has not occurred, but I now cannot make the backup copy on an external hard drive.

What suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I'm going to make a couple of assumptions. I assume that your VMs are on your system disk. And, I assume that if your backup drive is formatted as FAT32 (most are out-of-the-box), your virtual disk is created with the "Split into 2GB files" option, (If the backup drive is FAT32 and you don't split the virtual disk into 2GB files, then a copy of a VM to a backup drive might work for a while if the virtual disk file is less than 4GB, and would fail once the disk grew over 4GB over time.)

However, I'm suspicious that something more insidious is happening here - your symptoms could possibly be explained by hardware problems - a hard drive going bad for example. The reason that I'm suspicious is that both the Finder and Fusion are complaining about I/O - and Fusion isn't copying to your backup drive. . I'm also not convinced that Fusion is the issue here since the Finder is also complaining about copying a file - which in no way involves Fusion. That leaves hardware as the common component between the two scenarios.

See if you have any error messages in the system log.

Check Disk Utility to see if your hard drive reports a S.M.A.R.T. status of anything but "Verified"

Have you run a verify on your hard drive through Disk Utility?

Have you run the Apple Hardware Diagnostics (that came with your system)?

Have any hardware changes been made to this system lately (added memory, for example)?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
BCC74
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have suffered a similar problem over the last 48 hours but not through copying. The same error comes up on my machine in the middle of a VMFusion session.

The message is: "Operation on file "/Users/bcc/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Home Edition.vmwarevm/Windows XP Home Edition-000002-s018.vmdk" failed."

The VM slowed my whole system down until the error (As per chuckomoss's post) appeared. I have updated to the most current version of VMFusion but the problem still remains. I also had the same problem on copied VM's as well as old snapshots.

With respect to your suggested test I have checked the Disk Utility and run a verify with no problems.

Haven't run the apple diagnotics yet nor have I installed any software or hardware in the last few days.

Brett

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Using Verify Disk in Disk Utility does not preform the Low Level type test necessary to diagnose a failing hard drive as in the inability to read/write to each sector of the disk's platters to determine if there are any bad blocks.

I like to use dd to preform a full read of the target disk and while the test takes a long time, especially on the large disks, nonetheless it's one of the best ways to test.

Boot the Mac with the OS X DVD and then in a Terminal use the following command to get a sector count.

fdisk /dev/diskN

Where N in diskN is the disk number as in disk0 for example. Note that you can get the disk number using Disk Utility and clinking the info button after selecting the target disk before running Terminal.

In the output of the fdisk command it will show the total number of sectors after geometry: and if the output of the following dd command doesn't report having read that number of sectors then the disk has bad blocks or worse.

Next use dd to preform a disk read using the following command.

dd if=/dev/diskN of=/dev/null bs=512

Where N in diskN is the disk number as in disk0 for example.

When dd is finished if the records in count and records out count doesn't match the sectors count from the fdisk command then dd failed to read the entire disk thus indicating a defective disk.

I didn't have time earlier to add a screenshot of a Terminal and the command output so in the example below I mounted a 1 GB DMG Disk Image and as you see it fdisk shows 2000063 sectors and the dd output shows the same for records in and records out. Now if this was a physical disk and it had defects so as not be able to read all sectors dd should prematurely terminate because it wasn't passed an argument to keep going after encountering errors.

Also note that it took around 2 minutes to process 1 GB and this was on a 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro so if I had done it on the 120 GB HDD in my Mac it would have taken ~3.5 hrs to run the test if it didn't encounter any errors however I'd know for sure one way or the other if my disk was going bad using this method.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
chuckomoss
Contributor
Contributor

Technogeezer & Woody,

Thanks for your responses!

I did install the new 7200 RPM, 500 GB hard drive for the Macbook Pro one month ago. It was the exact time that these "disk failed" issues started to happen. We used carbon copy to transfer everything from the original hard drive. It was on this new hard drive that I built the new VM.

I have not done the recommended tests yet but will attempt these soon.

Has anyone heard of other issues after installing a 7200rpm, 500GB aftermarket Apple Macbook Pro compatible hard drive?

Thanks,

Charlie

0 Kudos
chuckomoss
Contributor
Contributor

Technogeezer,

I need to take the tests in baby-steps. I ran the verify disk permissions and received the following warnings, I'm not sure of they qualify as errors.

-

Verify permissions for “500GB Macintosh HD”

Reading permissions database.

Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw----- , they are -rw-r--- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/lanArrow.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .

Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/lanCheck.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .

Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/lanDisabled.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .

Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/wanArrow.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .

Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/wanCheck.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .

Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/Resources/wanDisabled.png", should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r-- .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rr , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions differ on "Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/ko.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/cs.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/de.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/es.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/fr.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/it.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/ja.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/nl.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/ru.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/sv.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/tr.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-rr .

Permissions verification complete

-

This is a brand new Seagate hard drive, could the warning suggest that the hard drive is not reading properly?

Thanks,

Charlie

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What you see is normal for a "Verify Permissions". But what I wanted

to suggest was to run a "Verify disk" (which will check the internal

file system structures) not "Verify Permissions".

Also run WoodyZ's suggestion of booting from the MacOS installation

disk and then use the 'dd' command to read from the disk.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
BCC74
Contributor
Contributor

Well mine was definitely a hard drive failure. Ran the Apple Hardware test off the OS X disk and that was the last time the Hard Drive worked. Hard drive was toast so Apple put in a new one.

Thanks Technogeezer and WoodyZ for your help. I'm sure VMFusion will work once I get everything off the backup.

Thanks again,

Brett

0 Kudos
chuckomoss
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

I completed the Low Level test you recommended.

I was able to run the sector count using fdisk /dev/disk0 and got a sector count of the following:

-

chuck-moss-osx-2:~ chuck_moss$ sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Disk: /dev/disk0 geometry: 60801/255/63

Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec

-

1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63

2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 unused

3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 unused

4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 unused

-

Now when i use the dd command I get:

-

chuck-moss-osx-2:~ chuck_moss$ sudo dd if=/dev/disk0 of=/dev/null bs=512

dd: /dev/disk0: Input/output error

200310296+0 records in

200310296+0 records out

102558871552 bytes transferred in 5731.109756 secs (17895116 bytes/sec)

chuck-moss-osx-2:~ chuck_moss$

-

To me it seems that I have a disk error.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Charlie

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To me it seems that I have a disk error. Thoughts?

The HDD has bad sector(s) since dd was not able to read all 976773168 sectors!

What Manufacture and Model Number is the HDD?

0 Kudos
chuckomoss
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

I installed the Seagate 500GB, 7200rpm hard drive in early September of this year.

Before this time I had never has a problem with the *.vmdk file failing.

Did I get a bad hard drive or are most Seagate 500GB, 7200 rpm drives going to have trouble reading disk sectors?

Also, if I replace the hard drive and carbon copy everything over to the new drive, will the existing VM still have a high chance of failing?

Thanks,

Charlie

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Charlie,

Whatever file is using the bad sector(s) will in all likelihood not properly copy and will continue to have errors so you may need to just backup the User Data and then recreate the Virtual Machine if you don't have a backup copy, which by the way you should.

Also I have had some success at times using dd to copy a file that occupied bad sectors that wouldn't copy under normal copying methods. dd has many operands to configure based on what one is trying to do and you'll have to read the man pages for dd an do a little Goggling for some examples of how to use it to achieve your goal if you want to attempt to use dd to try and recover. Frankly I'd only put time into using dd in this manner if what you have is mission critical otherwise bite the bullet and move on.

Good luck!,

Woody

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You should look into updating the firmware on your Seagate drives, if possible. I've had 2 500 GB 7200 rpm Seagate SATA drives fail that were less than 6 months old. I expect a recall of these drives.

0 Kudos
chuckomoss
Contributor
Contributor

Woody and All,

Thanks a lot for you help!

I (local Apple re-seller) reaplced the hard drive today and cloned my data. I work 75% of the time in the windows environment and save 99% of my data to the MAC environment to be able to have access and backup my critial files (using time capsule and timemachine) with the exception of my VM, Outlook.pst and Quickbooks files, which I manually copy to an external HD using finder. I have yet to figure out a way to automate a daily backup of my outlook.pst file and Quickbook file to the MAC environment.

Tonight, I booted up my machine with the new HD and reverted to a clean VM backup file. I attempted to restore my outlook.pst file but because I could never get a clean copy off the defective HD, Outlook said there were files errors and run SCANPST on the file. After attempting SCANPST on this file the process ended with an error and it said nothing was changed on the file.

I had good news in that I was able to mount the previous VM and copied the Outlook.pst files over but when I tried to restore my outlook to the .pst files a second time, I again received an error saying run SCANPST. I ran SCANPST a second time and it got all the way through the process and it said there were erros but was able to repair them. The third time I was able to restore Outlook (my mission critical application) so I am back in business with a new HD and my data back to normal.

My question here is what are your recommended backup programs for the VM file (I know TImecapsule does not work for this)?

Secondly, I run windows XP on the guest OS, what windows backup program could help me make a daily remote copy of my outlook.pst fle and quickbook data file to the MAC environment so it could get backed up by Time Capsule?

Thanks!

Charlie

0 Kudos
chuckomoss
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

My host is a MB Pro with OS X - 10.6.3, the guest is Windows XP - SP3,

VMWare Fusion 3.0.2. I'm looking for help with in being able to mount my VMDK file.

My hard drive is failing and when I currently select the VMDK file to be mounted > Select "open with"

I have a choice of over 23 VMDK files.

I have selected a few different VMDK files to open and then nothing happens.

I use SuperDuper as a backup to an external hard drive, but when I booted off my backup and tried to launch the VM file, I received an error message that VM Fusion could not find the file (or something like that). When I tru to mount the backup file, I get a choice of 23 VMDK files to select and then when you selcted one to open - nothing happens.

Do you have any suggestions how I could mount this file?

Thanks.

Charlie

0 Kudos