VMware Communities
GreenMachine
Contributor
Contributor

customizing Windows-based software running under Fusion

I just got a macBook Pro and installed Fusion and then a new copy of Windows XP SP2. I then installed MS Office 2003 which I had been running on my PC for a few years now. My questions relate to both Outlook and Word.

(1) WORD:I have highly customized my toolbars and macros which Word saves in the Normal.dot template file. I was hoping I could just replace the one I have on my PC with the one that is created by default after I installed Office on the virtual computer running on the Mac. However, I searched for the Normal.dot file, but it isn't found anywhere. I then went into Word and created a couple of new macros and tried to add them to the toolbar, but they were not saved between shutting down Word and starting it again. On the PC, Word would prompt you to save the Normal.dot file before shutting down, but no such message came up when I closed Word on running on the virtual machine. Does anyone know where the Normal.dot file is stored when using Word on the virtual machine? If it is there, can I replace it with the one I have on my PC?

(2) I saved my Outlook.pst file from my PC, a 1.6GB file with all of my inbox and sent messages. I wanted to replace the default Outlook.pst file that is normally created when freshly installing Outlook on a new PC. However, I searched for a *.pst file on the Mac and no such file was found. I know there's a way to convert the Outlook.pst file when migrating from a PC to a Mac OS-based Outlook program, but is there a way of simply using the Outlook.pst file from my PC with the Windows-based Outlook program running on my virtual machine?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The pathname for both should be as follows:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

The reason you may have had trouble finding them is they are hidden by default.

You can copy & past the following respectively in a Windows Explorer Address Bar to reveal the folder each is in:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Templates

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

0 Kudos
GreenMachine
Contributor
Contributor

thank you. That solved the problem! Much appreciated.

WoodyZ <communities-emailer@vmware.com> wrote: ,

A new message was posted in the thread "customizing Windows-based software running under Fusion":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/829716

Author : WoodyZ

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/WoodyZ

0 Kudos