VMware Communities
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor

creating floppy drive image

Hi

i want to create a floppy drive image that have some windows answer files , the way fusion demonstrate it in documentation

is by attaching physical usb floppy to the mac but i dont have such device its even not i market anymore isnt there any other

way to do it ?

Regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In a Terminal use the following command to create a unformated virtual floppy that you can attach to the Virtual Machine's Floppy under Settings > Other Devices > + > Add Floppy...

dd if=/dev/zero of=floppy.flp bs=512 count=2880

Also note, as and example, if you create a Windows Virtual Machine using Easy Install and not actually run the Virtual Machine you can snag the autoinst.flp file from within the Virtual Machine Document Package.  It will of course already be formated and contain some files however they can be deleted.  You can then delete the Virtual Machine if you created it just to get the autoinst.flp file.

Additionally there is an unattend.flp file with in the VMware Fusion.app Application Bundle at "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/unattend.flp" that you could just copy however you'll have to change permissions on the file once copied.  Note: Be sure not to remove the file only copy it.  It will be formatted and contain a single zero length file named autounattend.xml which you can delete.

If you want to mount the .flp file under OS X and access it's contents through Finder you'll need to change the .flp extension to or add the .img extension for it to be mountable under OS X.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I don't know where in the world you are, but here in Holland I can still buy USB floppy drives.. anyways..

You can just get passed that by creating a virtual floppy drive and attach that to your virtual machine.

By creating a new virtual floppy, you'll be creating a new floppy image. It's fairly straight forward really.

No need to buy a USB floppy drive to create a floppy image.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos