VMware Communities
BButty
Contributor
Contributor

connected the USB device to my vm and it is showing as sda and not sdb. How can I solve this

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Fusion has it’s own area in VMTN, a moderator will be along to move your thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Can you give a bit more details on the version of Fusion and macOS, guest operating system in the VM and its version?

What is the device name of your system disk?

What you are seeing may be due to the way that Linux generates device names. Device names by default are derived based on the order on which they are seen during the device discovery process at boot and through "hot add" device additions and subtractions (e.g. plugging in and removing USB drives). This normally is not a problem, and has nothing to do with the operating system being run as a virtual machine under Fusion.

If you have no other 'sd" (SCSI, SATA or USB) disks on the system, inserting a USB stick will very likely assign it a device name of /dev/sda if no other USB or disk devices are seen.

For example, my openSuSE VM was built with an NVMe type of boot disk not SATA/IDE/SCSI, and its device name is /dev/nvme0, not /dev/sda. If I plug in a USB stick into the VM, the device shows up as /dev/sda.

Getting a device to persistently show up as /dev/sdb requires an understanding of the Linux udev rules and configuration. It's left to the reader to do the research on that topic.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
BButty
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

The Vmware Fusion Professional Version 12.2.0, macOS Big Sur version 11.6 and the vm is Linux running Orcal linux 8. The USB is PHLIIPS FM12FD00B

0 Kudos