VMware Communities
pyzon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

changing display driver in vista ultimate 64-bit guest under fusion on imac 24" alu

hi there,

just installed vmware fusion onto my imac 24inch alu recently purchased. Installed the guest operating system vista ultimate 64-bit OEM version.

I looked at some stats under vista for performance and noticed a 1.0 on both graphics and gaming performance stats..I believe 1.0 is pretty low.

I have the accelerate 3d option checked in the vmvare settings.

I noticed under vista the graphics adapter listed is vmware svga II instead of the ATI radeon 2600HD in the imac, I'm guessing this is incorrect and was wondering if anybody knew a step by step to fixing this?

Your help is most appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I noticed under vista the graphics adapter listed is vmware svga II instead of the ATI radeon 2600HD in the imac, I'm guessing this is incorrect and was wondering if anybody knew a step by step to fixing this?

This is correct, there is nothing to fix. The guest does not get to talk directly to the underlying hardware, and does not see the actual ATI video card. Thus it should not be using the ATI driver.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is correct, there is nothing to fix. The guest does not get to talk directly to the underlying hardware, and does not see the actual ATI video card. Thus it should not be using the ATI driver.

0 Kudos
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I noticed under vista the graphics adapter listed is vmware svga II instead of the ATI radeon 2600HD in the imac, I'm guessing this is incorrect and was wondering if anybody knew a step by step to fixing this? <div>Actually, this is normal. VMware emulates the SVGA II card. To get the full power of the hardware in WIndows it is necessary to boot natively into that OS via BootCamp.

</div>

HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Think of it this way: you can't have two operating systems to control one single video card. So Fusion - as an application that sits on top of OS X has to passthrough the requests to the host. But to do so, it has to emulate a video card. A VMWare Fusion video card so to speak.

EvanC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is disappointing since the vmware driver only seems to recognize 128MB of the 256MB that the card has. Am I missing something? Should the vmware driver be recognizing the full 256MB and allowing Windows apps to take advantage of it? I'm actually using XP Pro rather than Vista but the issue appears to be the same.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is disappointing since the vmware driver only seems to recognize 128MB of the 256MB that the card has. Am I missing something?

This is normal and expected, the current max VRAM for the virtual video card is 128 MB.

0 Kudos
MrMBP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there. I understand that the Fusion driver is correct, but I'm noticing that certain applications- namely Second Life, doesn't recongize this "ghost" driver. When I start Second Life, it says I am running an outdated or unrecognized driver, and it shuts down.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos