VMware Communities
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

cd won't mount on windows XP Pro desktop

I just installed Windows via Fusion (Version 1.1 (62573) on a MB Pro 2.6. Very cool. The problem is that the installer of the main app I am trying to install is not fully (the installer starts up just fine) recognizing the disk when it is in the drive (and no disks will mount on the Windows desktop). Other apps install OK but I suspect that this installer may be more sensitive and its not working correctly is related to my disks not mounting.

I just want to get the app loaded. Any ideas?

TIA.

Jeff

0 Kudos
19 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It might have been more helpful if you would have included the name of what your trying to install!

Does this mystery app install okay on a physical Windows System?

Have you tried making an ISO Image and installing from an Image vs the physical disc?

0 Kudos
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

It might have been more helpful if you would have included the name of what your trying to install!

Does this mystery app install okay on a physical Windows System?

Have you tried making an ISO Image and installing from an Image vs the physical disc?

Why does the name of the app matter? FYI it is called Radar (professional homeopathic software).

I don't have a Windows machine (nor would I want one).

I have not made an ISO image nor do I know what that is (this is my first ever experience with Windows). Doesn't it seem that this might be related to the disks not mounting issue?

Jeff

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

So you don't know if the disc is good!?

Have you looked at the bottom of the disc to see if it dirty and or have you tired cleaning the disc?

Try making a disk image using the Disk Utility app (Applications > Utilities), use settings DVD/CD master, no compression and try using that instead of the actual disc!

Why does the name of the app matter? FYI it is called Radar (professional homeopathic software).

Look, you're the one asking for help and the more relevant information we have the greater the chances for sucess in helping you resolve your issue. Having the name of the software gives us the ability to search other relevant resources for any known issues that could help us help you!

Please read the following from the Fusions Forum's main page.

If you want to ask a question, read first.

Edit: Added additional content.

0 Kudos
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have not made an ISO image nor do I know what that is (this is my first ever experience with Windows). Doesn't it seem that this might be related to the disks not mounting issue?

An ISO image is a file with the complete contents of a CD or DVD. It's like a bit-by-bit copy. You can try and make one with the intructions Woodyz gave above. This is not WIndows related as and ISO image is a standard file for pc's in general.

But I am afraid this is not going to work if the CD won't even mount in OSX. You can try cleaning the disk with a soft cloth or try ejecting and reinserting the disc a couple of times. Sometimes you can get lucky and it mounts and IF it does, I'd try to make an image with disk utility to safeguard its contents.

Last but least, you might run into another problem and that is copy protection schemes on the cd. Professional software like that sometimes uses it and it will most likely manifest as unreadable sectors on the CD preventing you from making copies using regular techniques such as OSX Disk utility. This shouldn't prevent OSX from mounting the CD by the way.

I hope I haven't caused too much confusion?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks . This thread a bit of an example of some the research issues for user wanting to dabble with installing Windows applications. It would be great if the Forums could quiz your level of knowledge and in addition to the artificial points rankings, would convey true end-user knowledge, i.e. have read the beginner's guide, know how I make an ISO image, have installed Windows before, etc. I know I struggle with how often to repeat myself in the forums when I want to describe things at a much higher/faster level.

0 Kudos
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

An ISO image is a file with the complete contents of a CD or DVD.

But I am afraid this is not going to work if the CD won't even mount in OSX

I truly appreciate all of the helpful replies.

I know ISO as a disk image and unfortunately when I created an uncompressed one on the Mac desktop and copied it to the Windows desktop, I could not browse to it when I tried to add the app. Any further advice?

Jeff

BTW 2K- I did read the FAQ (which is why I included the build # in my first post).

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Jeff,

I apologize, but my response was in InflatableMouse's response to WoodyZ not directed at you (as noted by the Forums software). This is your thread, so I could have taken that commentary offline.

You don't want to transfer an ISO into the Guest OS, instead VMware can mount it as inserted CD/DVD media by selecting Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Choose Disk image..., then select the .cdr or .iso file on the OS X side. If necessary also choose, "Connect CD/DVD" to "insert" the media.

You can of course read an ISO file within Windows using daemon tools, Alcohol, or Microsoft's virtual CD driver, but Fusion makes it too easy directly in their program.

When you're done, just disconnect the ISO image and switch back to "Use Physical Disk" (which is the default).

0 Kudos
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

instead VMware can mount it as inserted CD/DVD media by selecfing Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Choose Disk image..., then select the .cdr or .iso file on the OS X side.

Excellent. Thanks so much for the speedy reply. I did as you recommend and the installer launched but I still could not browse to the app files. Either there is some subtle trick (which is what I am hoping) or the program files are indeed missing.

I don't know what else to do at this point (except wait for tech support to someday get back to me).

Thanks again.

Jeff

BTW-Do cd/DVD images ever show up on the Windows desktop when they are inserted into the Mac?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Jeff, I apologize, but my response was in InflatableMouse's response to WoodyZ not directed at you (as noted by the Forums software). This is your thread, so I could have taken that commentary offline.

His reply was not directed to me as it was clearly a reply to drjeff.

However I agree with you, your commentary should have been taken offline!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

BTW-Do cd/DVD images ever show up on the Windows desktop when they are inserted into the Mac?

Sure - just double-click on the .iso or .cdr file in the OS X Finder and it will be mounted right on your desktop.

In Windows, did you try just using Explorer to open the contents of the CD/DVD drive (usually D:\), be careful to right-click when you open D:\ so you don't trigger AutoPlay. This is if you want to "explore" vs. run the installer.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

However I agree with you, your commentary should have been taken offline!

Not to belabor this further, point noted.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

On a Mac when you insert a CD/DVD and it's mounted by the OS X an icon apears on the "Desktop", in Windows OSes no icon appears on the "Desktop" however you can access it via Windows Explorer from its Drive Letter.

0 Kudos
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

just double-click on the .iso or .cdr file in the OS X Finder and it will be mounted right on your desktop.

OK. Now I really feel stupid. Double clicking the .dmg mounted the file on my Mac desktop, but it is still not visible in XP. I will open Explorer and try to find it that way. If that doesn't work, I will try using Explorer with the original disk.

Jeff

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I will open Explorer and try to find it that way. If that doesn't work, I will try using Explorer with the original disk.

Using Explorer in Windows should work. I thought I would provide an answer for both of your OS's.

0 Kudos
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

Using Explorer in Windows should work.

I guess theoretically (assuming that the correct files are on the cd). Unfortunately when I browse to the drive and open the folder, nothing happens.

Thanks again for the unbelievable support you guys.

Jeff

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

OK. Now I really feel stupid. Double clicking the .dmg mounted the file on my Mac desktop, but it is still not visible in XP. I will open Explorer and try to find it that way. If that doesn't work, I will try using Explorer with the original disk.

Maybe you should take some time a read the documentation! Click Help on the VMware Fusion menu bar and select VMware Fusion Help > Contents tab > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring the CD/DVD Drive > To connect and configure a CD/DVD drive...

0 Kudos
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe you should take some time a read the documentation!

I have (and I've already installed other software from DVD).

Jeff

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I have (and I've already installed other software from DVD).

Just curious when the ISO file is mounted on the OS X desktop are there any files in it? You can unmount it by dragging to the Trash icon when done.

Like says, unless copy protection, file hiding, hidden CD partitions, etc are at play, the files should just be there for perusal, installing, etc.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe you should take some time a read the documentation! I have (and I've already installed other software from DVD).Jeff

Sorry but it sure doesn't seam that way! The bottom line is if the

source media you created an image from was the correct type and the

source isn't employing and anti-copy measures then you should be able

to assign that image file as the CD/DVD device from the Fusion UI for

the target VM and then see the contents of that image in Windows

Explorer just as if you inserted the physical disc! Make sure you have

not mounted the image as showing on the OS X Desktop by its icon.

Edit:

If you can mount the CD in OS X and see the contents you could also just create a folder in the Windows VM and Drag & Drop its content into that folder and then run the setup from there. I would D&D a little at a time because if D&D to much it could be problematic.

0 Kudos