VMware Communities
kkmca
Contributor
Contributor

cant install tool in CentOS 4.4 ON mac os x

HI;

I am trying to install the tools so I can mount a shared directory and finish installing the server I need to set up -

I have tried these steps

disconnected the cdrom using the virtual machine drop down

browsed to the linux iso image and selected it

connected to the cd rom

selected install vmware tools from the drop down window

It still just hangs.

I tried running the pl script that is in the iso but cannot run it in the mac os because the unix utilities it requires are not part of Darwin

please advise.

karen

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Unlike Windows, Linux doesn't have a concept of autorun, so configuring tools takes a little extra bit of work. Selecting "Install VMware tools" just disconnects the current CD and connects the appropriate iso image, which you've already done. To install tools, you need to either install the rpm (by double-cllicking or command line) or unpack the tar.gz and run vmware-install.pl as root in the guest[/i].

Also, since you're using CentOS 4, you might have to tweak it to avoid high CPU usage:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1680

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1420

0 Kudos
kkmca
Contributor
Contributor

ok this is helpful - only problem is I do not see /mnt/hgfs - dont see the shared directory. I have created one and enabled it only it there is not hgfs service running so My question is -

How do I access that script within the guest operating system?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can only use shared directories after installing tools. Shared directories are not required to install tools (it'd be quite the problem if they were).

It's not clear which script you're talking about or why you want to run it. If it's the vmware-install.pl script I mentioned, it's part of the tar.gz package. So for example, after mounting the CD in the guest, you might open a new terminal window (in the guest) and type

tar xzf /wherever/centos/puts/the/CD/VMwareTools-e.x.p-43733.tar.gz

cd vmware-tools-distrib

sudo ./vmware-install.pl

0 Kudos
kkmca
Contributor
Contributor

I am using an iso image - not a cd - I know where the tools are located in the mac ox file system - do not know how to access them in the centos filesystem - I am using a mac os x to host the centos os - the centos os is the guest os.

I am trying to run the VMware Tools perl script

How to locate/access to vmware tools within the centos os - This script cannot be run within the host os because it uses unix utilities not supported in Darwin - the mac os x.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>How to locate/access to vmware tools within the centos os

You need to mount the cd-rom. Then copy and extract the tar file. etc. See the user manual for step-by-step detailed instructions. Here's the Workstation manual if the Fusion one isn't explicit enough...

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_newguest_tools_linux.html

0 Kudos