VMware Communities
keepsimple
Contributor
Contributor

cannot see MBP bluetooth in Ubuntu VM

I have installed an Ubuntu Linux 9.10 virtual machine using VMware Fusion 3.1. 0 on MacBook Pro. The host OS (i.e. Macbook Pro) is Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

There is one issue: after I enabled bluetooth on Macbook Pro and selected the bluetooth icon for the Ubuntu VM, I cannot see the bluetooth device inside the Ubuntu VM. (I have installed bluez packages in Ubuntu and i was able to use the bluetooth in Mac).

Is there anything extra I need to do to use the bluetooth on Macbook Pro inside the Ubuntu VM?

Thanks.

Han

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

with an external USB to bluetooth device it should work - onboard devices will not

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

keepsimple
Contributor
Contributor

you are right. I have tried an external USB bluetooth and it worked. But I am curious why the on board bluetooth does not work in Ubuntu VM? is that because of lack of driver?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

virtual machines do not have support for bluetooth at all.

The ancient virtual mainboard does not know bluetooth.

Only real hardware that can be accessed directly is:

USB-ports

serial ports - up to 2 work - though the documentation tells up to 4

parallel ports - the documentation says you can use 3 or 4 but only 1 or 2 really work

some SCSI-devices

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

We can actually pass the Bluetooth Host Controller (which, granted, looks like a USB interface) to the Guest, but Linux doesn't have drivers for that because they require the Windows-based BootCamp drivers.

It might be possible to use generic drivers that support the particular chipset in use (if such drivers exist), but that would likely be non-trivial at best, and probably not as easy as simply using a BT Dongle (which so long as it is supported in your Guest OS should work).

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
keepsimple
Contributor
Contributor

in Apple Macbook Pro, it shows the on board bluetooth is also a USB device:

BRCM2070 Hub:

Product ID: 0x4500

Vendor ID: 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.)

Version: 1.00

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec