VMware Communities
larryLefever
Contributor
Contributor

cannot prevent suspend

I found in an article instructions for preventing suspending.  It involved setting 'suspend.disabled="TRUE"' in the relevant config-file.

I've done that, but I'm still getting unwanted suspends.

I've also done things within the guest OS (Windows 7 Enterprise):

- set the power-saving settings to "Never"

- opened a DOS-window as Administrator and ran a command that's supposed to disable "hibernate"; I subsequently ran the version of the command that seems to confirm that hibernate is off

- downloaded installed and ran a freeware app called "Don't Sleep" that's supposed to keep the machine busy (much as the command "caffeinate" does on a Mac -- which works fine for me incidentally).

I found the following in the vmware.log, which seems to show that my "suspend.disabled=TRUE" setting is being detected:

--- CONFIGURATION /Users/larry.Lefever/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/IE11 - Win7.vmwarevm/IE11 - Win7.vmx

suspend.disabled = "TRUE"

displayname = "IE11 - Win7"

guestos = "windows7"

The problem with the suspends is that I point the Tomcat-based e-commerce platform I work with at SQLServer running in VMWare-Fusion so I can develop analytical queries involving date-functions, which are database-specific, and the project I'm currently on is deployed in Windows using SQLServer (and I work on a Mac).  And each time Windows in the VM suspends (which is sometimes while I'm doing things on the Mac, just not within the VM), SQLServer get's shutdown, the e-commerce platform consequently crashes, and I need to restart both of them.

Meanwhile, I'm avoiding giving the guest OS a static IP, because I believe that could conflict with other hosts in the office.  So, I often need to lookup up the newly re-started guest OS's IP and update the e-commerce platform's config accordingly before re-starting it.

I'm not sure if the following is relevant, but I do see in the log several failures to access certain config folders/files:

Log for VMware Fusion pid=93488 version=8.1.1 build=build-3771013 option=Release

The process is 64-bit.

Host codepage=UTF-8 encoding=UTF-8

Host is Mac OS X 10.11.2 (15C50) Darwin 15.2.0

VTHREAD initialize main thread 0 "vmx" tid 49734960

Msg_SetLocaleEx: HostLocale=UTF-8 UserLocale=en

DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/messages/en/vmware.vmsg": No such file or directory.

Msg_Reset:

[msg.dictionary.load.openFailed] Cannot open file "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/messages/en/vmware.vmsg": No such file or directory.

----------------------------------------

DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config": No such file or directory.

Msg_Reset:

[msg.dictionary.load.openFailed] Cannot open file "/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config": No such file or directory.

ConfigDB: Failed to load /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config

DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/dev/null/Non-existing DEFAULT_LIBDIRECTORY/config": Not a directory.

Msg_Reset:

[msg.dictionary.load.openFailed] Cannot open file "/dev/null/Non-existing DEFAULT_LIBDIRECTORY/config": Not a directory.

ConfigDB: Failed to load /dev/null/Non-existing DEFAULT_LIBDIRECTORY/config

DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/dev/null/Non-existing DEFAULT_LIBDIRECTORY/settings": Not a directory.

Msg_Reset:

[msg.dictionary.load.openFailed] Cannot open file "/dev/null/Non-existing DEFAULT_LIBDIRECTORY/settings": Not a directory.

ConfigDB: Failed to load /dev/null/Non-existing DEFAULT_LIBDIRECTORY/settings

DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/Users/larry.Lefever/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config": No such file or directory.

Msg_Reset:

[msg.dictionary.load.openFailed] Cannot open file "/Users/larry.Lefever/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config": No such file or directory.

ConfigDB: Failed to load ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config

OBJLIB-LIB: Objlib initialized.

DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config": No such file or directory.

PREF Optional preferences file not found at /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config. Using default values.

DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/settings": No such file or directory.

PREF Optional preferences file not found at /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/settings. Using default values.

DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/config": No such file or directory.

PREF Optional preferences file not found at /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/config. Using default values.

DictionaryLoad: Cannot open file "/Users/larry.Lefever/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config": No such file or directory.

PREF Optional preferences file not found at /Users/larry.Lefever/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config. Using default values.

FILE: Validated designated requirements "anchor apple generic and anchor trusted and cert leaf[subject.CN] = *VMware*" for file "/var/folders/

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

Something in the guest is likely triggering this, Fusion won't suspend unless a button is clicked or there's a guest-trigger.

You should be able to see traces of that in the vmware.log near the bottom. Happy to look through for you if you post the output of your help > collect support information.

The errors you see are normal. We don't have an explicit 'en' dictionary file because the defaults are all in english anyway, but the log should at least confirm that the guest is triggering the suspend.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos