VMware Communities
rob19801
Contributor
Contributor

cannot map network drive?

has anyone experienced this? I recently downgraded from fusion 2 beta to 1.1.3 due to the restriction with office 2007 but since the downgrade haven't been able to find any of the folders on my host machine when i try to map the network drive. I also cannot find any shared folders? I am running the virtual machine using windows xp sp3 with a host using osx 10.5.4. I have reinstalled 1.1.3 several times

has anyone got any ideas of what i should do?

Cheers

Rob

0 Kudos
4 Replies
maddymac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you reinstall VMware Tools in Windows XP VM

Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ensure the following

1. Installed VMware Tools

2. Created a shared folder in VMware Fusion

Virtual Machine>Setting>Shared Folder>

3. Enabled Shared folders option and created Shared foldeer

Virtual Machine>Setting>Shared Folder>Shared folder

Regards,

Silica V.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
rob19801
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both for your answers.

I did enable folder sharing, but i think the VMware tools are not installing properly, which includes the kernel used for folder sharing. Every time i reinstall a VM and go through the process of starting a new VM, the VMware tools seem to install automatically and under the place under where i install them (virtual machine> install VMware tools) all it says is 'cancel VMware tools installation'. The 'cancel VMware tools installation' stays there (I waited for a few hours on a few occasions but nothing changed) and does not go back to install VMware tools unless i cancel the installation. After i cancel the installation I can find the VMware tools in the new VM under VMware in the program folder but am doubtful if they are working properly. Also when i go to re-install VMware tools manually i get a dialogue box which states that i already have a later version of VMware tools installed?

However i still cannot share folders, so i am unsure what i should do?

Regards

Rob

0 Kudos
rob19801
Contributor
Contributor

It appears as if the old VMware tools from fusion 2 was not deleted from my XP programs folder and i had to go back into windows via bootcamp to delete it using the add/remove programs app. Its working now which means i can go back to work. The replies were very helpful. Thanks again!

Rob

0 Kudos