VMware Communities
ToBeFrank
Contributor
Contributor

cannot install vmware virtual ide drive

I have a Windows XP VM that I imported from Parallels in Fusion 7. I uninstalled Parallels Tools before importing the VM. The imported VM seems to run fine, but at boot I get "Cannot install hardware: VMWare Virtual IDE Hard Drive" (screenshot attached). I tried doing repair mode in the vmware tools installer and also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the tools. Any idea how to fix this?

ss.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
ToBeFrank
Contributor
Contributor

I've taken a look inside the support info zip file, and I do not feel comfortable posting it on a public forum. I tried to email support, but I am evaluating switching from Parallels to Fusion so I do not have a valid license. Is there really no way to get support on this? If not I will be upgrading to Parallels 10 instead of switching to Fusion 7.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

ToBeFrank wrote: Is there really no way to get support on this?

AFAIK There is no official support when evaluating the product however while the Forums are not official support nonetheless we, other User too, provide considerable support in the Forums.  At times even VMware employees provide help in the Forums although they usually only pop in on more glaring issues.

That said, without additional information there really is nothing to diagnose/troubleshoot without first having to start asking a bunch of question, so unless you want to at the lease provide the .vmx configuration file and vmware.log file for the Virtual Machine then I'm done as I don't care to start asking a bunch of questions without having the facts first and the diagnostic bundle make it much easier.  So if you attach the .vmx configuration file and vmware.log file for the Virtual Machine that will fill in the gaps in the information you've provided thus far.

If not I will be upgrading to Parallels 10 instead of switching to Fusion 7.

Parallels Desktop for Mac

0 Kudos
Yogesh_Nags
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

As the above error message comes up due to the failed attempt of Windows XP to install the required IDE Driver tools within Windows, kindly use Windows XP ISO image to perform repair install of Windows XP. This replaces all the corrupted files in Windows XP, making the required driver tools to get installed automatically.

Feel free to reply to this, if this helps. 

0 Kudos