VMware Communities
saddy
Contributor
Contributor

can't start xp on boot camp via fusion, "no space left on device"

granted, i have only 500 mb of free space left on the mac partition, while i have more than 2 gb free on the boot camp partition. also, the macbook pro has 4 gb of ram. the virtual machine's ram is set to 1024 mb.

question is, i can see that there is about 1.5 gb of available ram on the machine. it seems that when i try to run the guest os, fusion is trying to create some sort of a 'virtual ram' file, and hence the disk space error and it telling me to clear more space.

is that setting the amount of virtual ram that will be created on the mac partition? and if yes, why is it creating virtual ram when i have more than enough available physical ram?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

granted, i have only 500 mb of free space left on the mac partition

Fusion aside running OS X with on 500 MB free on the system volume is not a good thing to be doing and actualy is dangerous in that you could end up with OS X locking up and having to do a hard reset that can damage the filesystem. I strongly suggest that you take appropriate measures to free up a reasonable amount of working space much less some room to breath.

question is, i can see that there is about 1.5 gb of available ram on the machine, and it seems that when i try to run the guest os, fusion is trying to create some sort of a 'virtual ram' file, and hence the disk space error.

the virtual machine's virtual memory is set to 1024 mb.

have i mistaken that setting to be the amount of physical ram that the guest os have access to?

Yes a Virtual Memory Disk File is created and it the size you have assigned to RAM for the Virtual Machine and is used for Suspend operations.

Suggest you take appropriate measures to free up a reasonable amount of working space much less some room to breath.

0 Kudos
saddy
Contributor
Contributor

sorry i phrased my question wrongly the first time.

if there is enough physical ram, why is fusion creating a virtual ram disk?

i'm aware that it's not good to not have enough free space, but sometimes, i just need to quickly do get into xp and get out. for me to not be able to do that despite having enough available physical ram is slightly annoying to say the least.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

sorry i phrased my question wrongly the first time.

if there is enough physical ram, why is fusion creating a virtual ram disk?

You phrased your question fine. Fusion create the disk file because that the way Fusion is designed.

i'm aware that it's not good to not have enough free space, but sometimes, i just need to quickly do get into xp and get out. for me to not be able to do that despite having enough available physical ram is slightly annoying to say the least.

Well it may be annoying however your lack of proper working space it the problem and not just for Fusion so I'd correct the problem, which is the lack of adequate space to properly run the OS and installed applications and then you won't have a problem with Fusion.

0 Kudos