VMware Communities
ultimateBusines
Contributor
Contributor

can't set up a second DVD

Hi There!

I have a second DVD in my Mac Pro and can not set it up with a VM and if I will open the first drive with the eject-key both DVD's get open.

I will hope there will be a bugfix a.s.a.p.

Smiley Happy Sven

-

Mac Pro 3.1, Mac OSX 10.5.5

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You can only add a CD/DVD when the Virtual Machine is not running. You can specify which physical CD/DDVD is assigned to the Virtual Machine CD/DVD. Information on how to do this is in the VMware Fusion Help File.

0 Kudos
ultimateBusines
Contributor
Contributor

You are right with your statement, but Smiley Wink

I can't not set up a second drive.

I am trying to set up a second drive, but Fusion doesn't find my second drive as a physical one, and if I choose it to find automaticaly, I get an error that the devise can't be connected to the VM.

Within MacOS I can use my two drive's normaly.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

A little bit more information might be helpful so have a look at and provide the information requested.

Are you saying you can specify which physical device the CD/DVD uses on the first CD/DVD in the settings for the virtual machine and then cannot add another CD/DVD in the settings for the virtual machine at all? Any error messages? We really need details and being specific and explicit about what you've tried and the results and even a screenshot if you thinks it relevant and might help otherwise I can't think of anything else at the moment.

0 Kudos
ultimateBusines
Contributor
Contributor

OK, here a little bit more data. These are my two devices:

from Mac OSX-view the plextor is the first and the pioneer the second.

Now I went to Fusion 2.0

and then to the setup of my VM, with WinXP Pro Version 2002 with SP3 installed and have a look at the CD/DVD devices:

and then I went to the second CD/DVD device:

So, you can see that I am not able to select my plextor-device.

If I try the automatic-mode for the second device, I get after starting the VM the following two error's:

I have installed VM-Tools with this version:

Do you need any other informations?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thank you for the additional information and hopefully I will not need any more at the moment anyway.

On a system running Fusion 2.0 I just added a second CD/CVD to a Virtual Machine and noticed the same as you that while the Mac could see and access both physical CD/DVD's the Virtual Machine settings was only showing one of them.

However after closing Fusion and reopening it the second CD/DVD under settings was available.

With both CD/DVD's set to specific devices the Virtual Machines .vmx configuration file has the following entries pertaining to these devices.

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.autodetect = "FALSE"
ide0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
ide0:0.fileName = "cdrom0"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
ide1:0.fileName = "cdrom1"

If after closing/reopening Fusion the second device is not available you could try using the above info in the .vmx configuration file to try an enable both in the Virtual Machine. Note: These entries can be in different order and different places in your .vmx file so make sure you do not repeat any of them if you chose to edit it.

Note: You may have to adjust the ide0:0 and or ide1:0 as necessarily depending on what type HDD you have. It can also be ide0:1 or ide1:1

If you need help with the .vmx configuration file have a loo at the first part of .

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

Added info referencing additional ide(n):(n)

0 Kudos