VMware Communities
drthein
Contributor
Contributor

can't print in Fusion from any software or from Windows XP

Can someone help. I've installed Fusion on my Mac and have also installed Windows XP to run virtually with Fusion. Everything works normally except it will not print. It won't print from any program. It says it is printing but nothing happens. The HP LaserJet 1300 works perfectly on the Mac alone but not with Windows on Fusion. I've installed it from a disk and the HP is the default printed. It says the printer status is ready. It just will not print. Any suggestions???

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Badsah
Expert
Expert

Wrong forum. Moved to the Fusion community.

----

Badsah Mukherji

Senior Community Manager

VMware Communities

--- Badsah Mukherji VMware Web Communities Team
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It won't print from any program.

Any program in the guest, or any program at all (even on OS X)?

Quick searching suggests that LaserJet 1300 is a USB printer. USB devices can only be controlled by one OS at a time; to use it with the guest, you need to connect the printer to the guest (under Virtual Machine > USB). If you need to use it in both XP and OS X simultaneously, you need to set up printer sharing. I recommend watching the printing video tutorial.

0 Kudos
rmiller105
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Share the printer on your Mac, then load Bonjour for Windows (Apple downloads) on the VM system. Use the Bonjour printer wizard to connect the printer, and you should be good to go. If you have any other Macs on your network, you can use their printers as well.

0 Kudos
marcelairmail
Contributor
Contributor

This is the path I followed too, ie share printer in the printer setup and under 'sharing' select printer sharing.

Download bonjour for windows, run the printer setup wizard, make sure to select the printer that shows @your.name@imac

Also, set firewall on the mac to 'allow all incoming connections' or in XP the bonjour printer wizard will not see the shared printer.

After all this, it works just fine!

Leaves only 1 question: how vulnerable is the mac to viruses after setting the firewall to 'allow all incoming connections'. Have not figured that one out yet.....

M.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Leaves only 1 question: how vulnerable is the mac to viruses after setting the firewall to 'allow all incoming connections'. Have not figured that one out yet.....

"Virus" is a bit of a misnomer for net-bourne attacks. Your Mac is as vulnerable as the number of exploits available in the network services you advertise/expose. In System Preferences > Sharing, the more services you can uncheck the safer you will be. You should apply Apple security updates as soon as Software Update notifies you. Apple just released a huge security patch a couple of days ago, that's an example of one update you would want to apply.

0 Kudos
drthein
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for your response. I will try it later today.

0 Kudos
drthein
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your input. This forum has been very helpful to someone

who is not very computer savvy.

0 Kudos
rmorrill
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I had the same problem as drthein. I cannot print from WindowsXP on Fusion. After reading these posts I went to the video instruction (it was well done). I followed all of the instructions carefully and it went very well but ran into a problem trying to configure Bonjour. On the second "browse for bonjour printers" screen I got a dimmed message saying "No bonjour printers are available".

My setup is as follows: New imac running Leopard and a Mac G4 running Tiger both connected to a router. The G4 has an hp photosmart 3310 printer connected to its usb port. The Macs will both print from the h.p. I cannot print from Windows XP on Fusion.

Would be grateful for any help on this. richard.

0 Kudos
marcelairmail
Contributor
Contributor

Did you download and install 'Bonjour for Windows' then ran the

'Bonjour Printer Wizard'? I assume you did.

I had to set the firewall in OS X to 'allow all incoming connections'.

Once I made that change the 'Bonjour Printer Wizard' for XP found the

printer just fine.

Another thought: in Safari, look at your bookmarks. Is there one that

is marked 'bonjour' and does your printer show up there?

Hope this helps.

M.

0 Kudos
drthein
Contributor
Contributor

Richard,

Drthein here. I got the same grayed out window saying no Bonjour

printers available. I can get Fusion support people to answer any

emails for this problem. They tell me the Fusion product is a beta

product and they don't provide support. I've talked to the Apple

store folks and they can't figure it out either. They said that