VMware Communities
otaviopr
Contributor
Contributor

can't install windows xp pro with fusion

Hi! I have a copy of windows xp pro sp2 that I'm trying to install in my imac mid 2007 2.0ghz, but I'm not having any success with it.

When the virtual machine boots it starts in dos and try to access some mac address and says:

pxe-e53: no boot filename received

pxe-m0f: exiting intel pxe rom.

and then a pop up comes and says no bootable device was detected

i dont know what to do, please help!!

i will attach a screenshot here!

tnx!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Has this copy of Windows XP SP2 been used successfully to install on another PC? Are you using the Windows Easy Install as part of the New Machine wizard?

Please try the following, find Disk Utility in Applications > Utilities. Insert the CD into your Mac. When the CD icon appears on the left side, click to highlight it, then from the File menu choose New > New image from /dev/diskX (exact text is not important). In the Save As... dialog choose format: "cd/dvd/ master" Save the disc contents with name and location you can remember like WinXP-SP2 in either Documents or the Desktop. Let Disk Utility save the disc, it will load all of the contents of the CD to your hard drive and will take some time. Disk Utility will give the file an automatic extension of ".cdr" so the file name will be WinXP-SP2.cdr

When complete, re-run the VMware Fusion New Machine wizard on the Finish screen where Fusion asks:

Use operating system installation disk, or

Use operating system installation disk image file

Choose "Use operating system installation disk image file", then Other... and pick the disk image you created above, e.g. WinXP-SP2.cdr. The OS should boot to install now.

0 Kudos
otaviopr
Contributor
Contributor

hi! tnx for posting!

but I'm still getting the same error, as the screenshot I posted shows...

It's still accessing the same mac address and giving the same pxe error...

I tried doing an .iso image and this .cdr image...

nothing yet

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

If you are fast, when you see the VMware logo screen on startup, press Esc and you should get the boot menu. Pick CD-ROM drive and if the CD is truly bootable that should work 100% of the time. If not, I think your media is bad. If you started with an .iso image make sure it's bootable or go back to an original disc.

0 Kudos
otaviopr
Contributor
Contributor

yeah... this is not working too ...

so, it's entering in this network boot because the dos isn't recognizing my cd as a bootable winxp install disk???

I'll try to install with another disk to see if the error goes out...

Whatever happens, I'll post here!

tnx!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

so, it's entering in this network boot because the dos isn't recognizing my cd as a bootable winxp install disk???

Right, just like a physical PC with PXE does.

I'll try to install with another disk to see if the error goes out...

Try loading the OS with original media from Microsoft.

0 Kudos
sportyroli
Contributor
Contributor

try to hit F2 during the start of vmware when the cd will be searched - and the installation begins. I did it with win-xp-sp0. after that you can do everything with your winxp. sorry about my english, but I'm a couples of miles away from u.s. - mac pro with leo 10.5 and vmware v 1.1 -

0 Kudos
otaviopr
Contributor
Contributor

hi! tnx every one!!! i manage to install it!

i used another cd i had here... the other were not bootable i think =/

but i have another question!

i installed ragnarok online to play here and everything worked but the mouse cursor is going very fast!!!

someone knows how can i manage to put the cursor back to normal?!

tnx!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

i installed ragnarok online to play here and everything worked but the mouse cursor is going very fast!!!

As noted in the release notes, try adding the following line to your .vmx file:

vmmouse.present = "FALSE"

0 Kudos