VMware Communities
lutece7
Contributor
Contributor

can't install Windows XP to my Fusion Virtual Machine

I installed Fusion. Gave my VM and name and size. It launched with a DOS window. But then my Win XP disk dissapears from the Mac desktop. When I quit my virtual machine, the WinXp isntallation disk reapears.

when I relaunch Fusion, it says:

"no boot file received"

"operating system not found" both in DOS.

my virtual machine is not SEEING my loaded Windows XP SP2 installation disk. What the heck?!?!?!?

what do I do now? I am on a MacBook Pro Rosetta. I have a legal copy of Windows. I am running Fusion 1.0 that I downloaded yesterday.

I am very dissapointed. I thought that Fusion was supposed to be easy. Why don't they have a trouble shooting guide???

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Stevamundo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How long you're waiting before you're quitting your DOS window?

Steve Harper-Webmaster: http://madentec.com/intro/ Get the latest and greatest in assistive technology.
0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try to boot the VM, click inside quickly and hit ESC to get to the boot menu. You can then tell it to boot from the CD and hopefully that will get you going.

0 Kudos
lutece7
Contributor
Contributor

thank you steva and harli, I kept trying and I don't know what I did, but it finally installed. thanks again, though. Have a nice weekend!

0 Kudos
eknauft
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you upload the vmware log from your VM's directory? (You'll have to right click on it to open the package contents and the file will be called vmware.log)

Also, you might try the following:

1) In VM settings, make sure the CD-ROM drive has "start connected" checked.

2) Are there any messages about a drive not being able to be connected at startup?

3) Try choosing cdrom0 instead of Autodetect as the cd-rom backend.

4) Try creating an ISO image of the CD and installing from that.

Please let us know if any of these help. Thanks!

0 Kudos
lutece7
Contributor
Contributor

oh, sorry, I thought I made myself clear when I said that I finally got it to install somehow just by repeating what I had been doing.

thanks, though!

0 Kudos