VMware Communities
bluehorns
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can't import boot camp partition

I just installed vmware fusion 2. I saw and open up my bootcamp partition (vista) but however it prompted 'Cannot open disk....'

Thereafter I tried to import the boot camp partition, but was prompted 'Insufficient permissions to import the boot camp partition.'

I had used the correct password and I'm in the Admin acc, which I always used.

So did I miss anything here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It may be that your Boot Camp VM shut down unexpectedly, leaving a lock against the virtual disk proxy to your Boot Camp partition.

While Fusion is not running, open a Terminal window and go into the folder <your home folder>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/<some folder starting with %2>/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm.

If there is a directory ending in .vmdk.lck, delete that directory.

This can also be done from Finder, you'll just have to right-click to open the Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm package to "Show Package Contents".

Should this not work, you can delete the whole folder <your home folder>/Library/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines and Fusion will recreate your Boot Camp partition virtual machine. This will not affect in any way the data or programs you have installed in Boot Camp.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It may be that your Boot Camp VM shut down unexpectedly, leaving a lock against the virtual disk proxy to your Boot Camp partition.

While Fusion is not running, open a Terminal window and go into the folder <your home folder>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/<some folder starting with %2>/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm.

If there is a directory ending in .vmdk.lck, delete that directory.

This can also be done from Finder, you'll just have to right-click to open the Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm package to "Show Package Contents".

Should this not work, you can delete the whole folder <your home folder>/Library/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines and Fusion will recreate your Boot Camp partition virtual machine. This will not affect in any way the data or programs you have installed in Boot Camp.

0 Kudos
bluehorns
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for the prompt reply.

above all your guide works! i simply deleted the virtual machine bootcamp partition.

0 Kudos