VMware Communities
chaujohnthan1
Contributor
Contributor

can not make gdb aware of linux guest kernel thread structs

debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0"

i hope i can get official script about getlinuxoffsets, so i can issue monitor linuxoffset in gdb.

this is kernel 4.6.4 x86-64. the host and guest both are slackware 13.1 64

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi chaujohnthan1 ,

Could you provide a more detailed description of setup? How did you use gdb inside linux VM? Thanks.

0 Kudos
chaujohnthan1
Contributor
Contributor

This is slackware 13.1 amd64, not mac, there are too mang froups, so i chosen mac.

I have worked on this for over half a year, so i am sure it is probably the correct setting.

What ever the setup is, windows 10, slackware guest linux work just fine seemingly.

except when i start to debug linux kernel 4.6.4.

after add debugstub.listen.guest64 = 1

monitor.debugonstartguest64 = 1

debugstub.hidebreakpoints = 1

The guest linux start at 1000200, which is arch/x86/boot/compressed/head_64.S, i can step

into start_kernel,

But, when i run info threads in gdb, all i get is the 4 threads named vcpu 1 2 3 4, which is the number of

what i chose for the virtual machine.

So, i looked for debugstub.linuxoffsets, stopaddress, what i found, is quite outdated, they are

talking about 2.6.9, etc. But i am using 4.6.4,

So i set this offsets parameter, according to ws7 replay debug pdf, filled them in, gdb did not recognize it,

so i am reading gdb source code, especially the amd64-lin6x-nat.c tdep.c, it is 7.5,

seems gdb has changed a lot since, i have to upgrade

probably.

there is an error, could not fetch register orig_rax, reply E00, so i set debug remote 1,

and i am on it right now.

and i hope i can get help from you, after all.

thank you very much.

Johnthan

在 2017-03-20 10:01:03,"nancyz" <communities-emailer@vmware.com> 写道:

|

|

VMware Communities

|

|

can not make gdb aware of linux guest kernel thread structs

created by nancyz in VMware Fusion® (for Mac) - View the full discussion

Hi chaujohnthan1 ,

Could you provide a more detailed description of setup? How did you use gdb inside linux VM and which linux were you using? Thanks.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on VMware Communities

Start a new discussion in VMware Fusion® (for Mac) at VMware Communities

This email was sent by VMware Communities because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from VMware Communities, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

|

0 Kudos