VMware Communities
sjlukacs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can not get file sharing to work on Centos/RHEL 7..

hey everyone,

i've used fusion to run centos since version 5.  file sharing from the mac host has worked great.  i've purchased the upgrade to fusion 8.5 because i couldn't get fusion 6 to share with centos 7 or 7.2.  now i still can't get fusion 8.5 to file share with my newly installed version of cents 7.2, even though fusion did an auto install.  i've also tried many methods and vmtools drivers on a previous install and i am sick of trying numerous but failed methods.  can anyone give me a definitive working solution here please?  lucas

here are the currently installed packages on my new centos 7.2 machince and systemctl does have vmtoolsd.service active and running also:

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa | grep vm

libXxf86vm-1.1.3-2.1.el7.x86_64

lvm2-2.02.130-5.el7.x86_64

abrt-addon-vmcore-2.1.11-36.el7.centos.x86_64

qemu-kvm-1.5.3-105.el7.x86_64

mesa-private-llvm-3.6.2-2.el7.x86_64

qemu-kvm-common-1.5.3-105.el7.x86_64

xorg-x11-drv-vmware-13.0.2-7.20150211git8f0cf7c.el7.x86_64

open-vm-tools-desktop-9.10.2-4.el7.x86_64

xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse-13.0.0-11.el7.x86_64

libvirt-daemon-kvm-1.2.17-13.el7.x86_64

open-vm-tools-9.10.2-4.el7.x86_64

lvm2-libs-2.02.130-5.el7.x86_64

AND

vmtoolsd.service is active and running under systemctl.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjlukacs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry for the delay in getting back, i am finishing the semester.

ok, so i took all of your suggestions and molded them into one path.  i removed the open-vm-tools packages by:

yum erase open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-desktop

then under the host os, under the VMWare main menu, i chose Virtual Machine, then Install VMWare Tools.  that opened a CD under my centos host os.  logged in as root through all of this, i copied the VMwareTools-10.0.10-4301679.tar.gz to my root folder and "tar xvfz VMwareTools-10.0.10-4301679.tar.gz" and then went under the subdirectory it extracted itself into, vmware-tools-distrib.  under there i ran the ./vmware-install.pl script and pressed enter to accept the defaults.  finally, i rebooted the cents host os.  under Sharing for VMWare, i setup my folders on the OS X side and everything is working fine.

thanx for all of your suggestions.  lucas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sjlukacssjlukacs

Welcome to Fusion Community.

You need to reinstall your vmware-tools.

Actually you need to uninstall you open-vm-tools.

if still doesn't work, please let me know

How to install open-vm-tools?
In Terminal, run 'sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools'
How to check if open-vm-tools has been installed on Ubuntu?
In Terminal, run 'dpkg -l | grep open-vm-tools'
How to uninstall open-vm-tools?
1.Terminal and run 'sudo apt-get remove open-vm-tools'
Note: If 'open-vm-tools-dkms' installed, it is also needed to be removed.

How to uninstall open-vm-tools?

apt-get purge open-vm-tools-desktop  open-vm-tools

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos
jwvm27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm running into a similar issue as the original post. When running the vmware installer (starting at Install VMWare Tools from Virtual Machine Window, then extracting and going to where I extracted the files in the terminal) ...

$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl -d

... it informs me to install open-vm-tools, which I do via

$ sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools

... It installs fine

$sudo reboot

$ps aux | grep vmtools
... and it shows /usr/bin/vmtoolsd as running

But in the sharing Window it still tells me that sharing won't work until I install vmware tools.

This seems like an endless loop then.

0 Kudos
jwvm27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

However, it appears that overriding and proceeding with the 'legacy' install works for sharing folders (xubuntu 16 in this case) on VMWare Fusion 8.5.x.

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi jwvm27,

Welcome to Fusion Community.

If you want to use the share folder function. you have to choose 'no' to install the open-vm-tools.

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos
sjlukacs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry for the delay in getting back, i am finishing the semester.

ok, so i took all of your suggestions and molded them into one path.  i removed the open-vm-tools packages by:

yum erase open-vm-tools open-vm-tools-desktop

then under the host os, under the VMWare main menu, i chose Virtual Machine, then Install VMWare Tools.  that opened a CD under my centos host os.  logged in as root through all of this, i copied the VMwareTools-10.0.10-4301679.tar.gz to my root folder and "tar xvfz VMwareTools-10.0.10-4301679.tar.gz" and then went under the subdirectory it extracted itself into, vmware-tools-distrib.  under there i ran the ./vmware-install.pl script and pressed enter to accept the defaults.  finally, i rebooted the cents host os.  under Sharing for VMWare, i setup my folders on the OS X side and everything is working fine.

thanx for all of your suggestions.  lucas

0 Kudos