VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

can Fusion see two sepeate networks?

I am running VMWare fusion with ESXI.. i wish to use large Datastore on my NAS for extra storage. to connect via NFS..

This works over Wifi.... but since it keeps disconnecting due to bandwith issues, i thougt of connecting NAS directly via Gigabit to Mac..I've set "service order" under Catalina to use Wi-fi 1st,  then Gigabit adapter (to NAS with has gigabit oirt) as 2nd... and  this part works..

Can VMware see 192.168.x.x and 169.254. (NAS) at the same time or not ?   I go under Network settings in fusion and it bridges (one host only and one USB gigabit), but there no ip address associated and icon remains disconnected *red* state., even though i can access NAS fine in web browser over 169.x,. The idea being, it Datastore would be faster over Gigabit, than slower network.. so i can have the best of both world. (if it worked)

Temp solution only while i upgrade LAN with gigabit throughout. The other solution i thought was getting gigabit switcch, but this is gonna be a permanent solution, not temp one. Datastorte would be permanently on NAS, but i'm trying to see which way i can go best while i work on a permanent solution.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I do not recommend using Wi-Fi for this purpose.  The Wi-Fi connection in Fusion 12 has had a lot of issues and at least some of them seem to be issues that Apple needs to fix.  A Thunderbolt to Ethernet or USB to Ethernet would be better if the Mac does not have native Ethernet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I do not recommend using Wi-Fi for this purpose.  The Wi-Fi connection in Fusion 12 has had a lot of issues and at least some of them seem to be issues that Apple needs to fix.  A Thunderbolt to Ethernet or USB to Ethernet would be better if the Mac does not have native Ethernet.

0 Kudos