VMware Communities
jimsold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bridge101 interfering with resolving .local addresses

I am setting up some raspberry pis. I want to use <hostname>.local to access them.

This works reliably when  Fusion is NOT running.

When Fusion is running, even with no open VMs, the bridge interface bridge101 appears. Then pretty soon, I get incomplete arp cache reported routes like:

```

petermirror.fios-router.home (192.168.1.220) at b8:27:eb:23:d4:b3 on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
petermirror.fios-router.home (192.168.1.220) at (incomplete) on bridge101 ifscope [bridge]

```

The Pi (petermirror) has the local IP as shown but if the incomplete line appears when I run arp -a then the ,local address will not resolve. ssh to petermirror just hangs.

Any ideas?

Jim

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimsold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The same problem was happening with Fusion Pro 12. I upgraded to 13 to see if the problem would go away.

Intel Macbook Pro running the latest version of Monterey.

0 Kudos
jimsold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It happened again just now.

But I have a workaround. Use:

```

ssh -b 192.168.1.1 mirror@petermirror.local

```

The .1.1 address is the local gateway. bridge101 identifies as 192.168.135.1

When the ssh failure happens when not using -b, adding the -b parameter allows ssh to complete. I can let VMware Fusion be running in the background.

0 Kudos
jimsold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, the -b option is not 100% reliable. I had to quit Fusion again to get the ssh connection to work.

Curious why this is happening.

0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

WiFi and Fusion has not been reliable in Fusion 12.  I have seen macOS updates improve the situation so I will concede it may not be a problem VMware can solve.  If you have one, and a wired network, try adding a USB to Ethernet to the MacBook Pro and see if things get better.

0 Kudos