VMware Communities
Jean_Lemos
Contributor
Contributor

avoid to delete the Virtual Machines folder from a Standar mac user

Actually we are using a Standard User in Mac OS X but the Virtual Machines folder remains insinde Documents folder in the user home folder and because that this standard user has read and Write permissions to the Documents folder. It means that a Standard Mac user could accidentally delete the Virtual Machines folder. Is there a solution for secury the Virtual Machines folder without block his access to the VM?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I understand why the default location is within the Users Home Folder Structure however I always felt that was absurd considering the size footprint and backup schemas always having to exclude it from what I'd refer to as a full backup of working documents. Not that a Virtual Machine is not important to back up but because of it size I don't back it up as often as everything else and any data being generated within the VM I backup as needed anyway.

My suggestion would be to move the Virtual Machine's from within the User's Home Folder Structure!

Personally the first thing I did was create a "Virtual Machines" folder in the Root Directory and placed existing VMware Workstation Virtual Machine's and newly created VMware Fusion Virtual Machine's in that folder.

If you don't want it directly in the root directory then how about...

Example: "/Users/Shared/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/"

Yes it could still be deleted however I think less likely then within the User Home Folder Structure and then easier to share with multiple Users too.

Bottom line is no matter where you store it you also need to have the Virtual Machine's backed up too.

Jean_Lemos
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Thanks for the tip. We already did that way. Is there another way to secure the VM Image? Like to hide ou make the VM Image invisible?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Ok. Thanks for the tip. We already did that way. Is there another way to secure the VM Image? Like to hide ou make the VM Image invisible?

Yes you can hide the folder that the Virtual Machine's Bundle Package is in or the Virtual Machine's Bundle Package itself however while it may be hidden in Finder, providing the defaults settings have not been modified, it will not be hidden in Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) or 3rd Party Applications that can show hidden files/folders.

One way I know how to hide a file/folder is to use Developer Tools SetFile. So if you have Developer Tools installed (if not there on the OS X DVD) then here is the syntax although typing the command without any arguments will show the usage. In a Terminal type the following...

/Developer/Tools/setfile -a V Target_File_Or_Folder

Note: Use lowercase "v" in command to make Target_File_Or_Folder visible again. Also note that if Finder is open and the Target_File_Or_Folder is visible/invisible before you use SetFile it will still show/not show in that occurrence of Finder until you close/reopen Finder.

Also note that even when hidden the pathname of the Virtual Machine will still show in the Virtual Machine Library window after holding the mouse over the Target for a few moments.

A nice freeware utility called XFolders (http://www.kai-heitkamp.com/) is handy to have to navigate the Filesystem when working with hidden file/folders.

You can show hidden files/folders in Finder using the following commands in a Terminal

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Change "TRUE" to "FALSE" then run the above two commands with the "FALSE" argument to hide hidden /files/folders again.

HTH Have Fun Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Jean_Lemos
Contributor
Contributor

Works great ! Thanks again WoodyZ.

Your will to collaborate is something to be Followed by everybody.

See ya !

0 Kudos