VMware Communities
manfredell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

auto snapshots

I have the option to auto create snapshots each day.

I normally suspend the VM and restart it. I seldomly reboot the VM.

Now I don't see the daily snaphots created! When are they supposed to be created? When I select daily I would expect that a snapshot is created the first time I resume the VM in a new day. This does not happen.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's based on elapsed time in the guest, not real time. Depending on how long you run your virtual machine each day, it might be a while between automatic snapshots.

0 Kudos
manfredell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AHA!

OK then I've got to switch this to hourly.

But this doesn't seem right to me. I use the VM's only for a short time. This should be based on Mac OSX time not VM uptime.

0 Kudos
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's based on elapsed time in the guest, not real time. Depending on how long you run your virtual machine each day, it might be a while between automatic snapshots.

Hi etung, I'm having trouble with this too. I was running hourly snapshots but found they were interfering with my work so changed to daily. When it was set to hourly I got these snapshots:

26-September 2008 11:57

26-September 2008 12:57

26-September 2008 13:57

26-September 2008 14:57

I then changed to daily and since then no snapshots have been taken and its been 8 days now. I startup and shutdown the VM each day but it runs for at least 10 hours each day so since the last auto-protect snapshot has been taken, its been up for at least 50 hours total.

I would find it useful to be able to set it to take a daily snapshot based on elapsed calendar time or total running time of the guest. I guess currently the elapsed time is reset each time the guest is started up.

Currently the daily snapshots don't unless the guest runs 24 hours/day. Is that correct?

Cheers

Russell

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Currently the daily snapshots don't unless the guest runs 24 hours/day. Is that correct?

No, we should keep track of how long it's been since the last automatic snapshot, you shouldn't have to leave the guest up all the time. If you look in the .vmx file there are fields like rollingTier0.timeSincelast which keep track of how long it's been since the last automatic snapshot (I believe times are in seconds). Can you check if they look about right?

0 Kudos
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, we should keep track of how long it's been since the last automatic snapshot, you shouldn't have to leave the guest up all the time. If you look in the .vmx file there are fields like rollingTier0.timeSincelast which keep track of how long it's been since the last automatic snapshot (I believe times are in seconds). Can you check if they look about right?

The values I have are:

rollingTier0.timeSincelast = "7814"

rollingTier1.timeSincelast = "9380"

rollingTier2.timeSincelast = "9380"

If they're in seconds, that equates to just over 2 hours for each of the values. That is incorrect. The last auto-snapshot was a week ago and I used the VM for 11 hours yesterday, 2 hours this morning and getting on for 10 hours every day this week.

I've just started up and shutdown the virtual machine again (it ran for a couple of minutes) and the values have changed to:

rollingTier0.timeSincelast = "3656"

rollingTier1.timeSincelast = "927"

rollingTier2.timeSincelast = "927"

So the rollingTier0 has changed but no backup has been performed. I've attached the vmx file if your interested.

Cheers

Russell

0 Kudos
glenbust
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My 24hr snapshots don't work either and my VM is open from 8.00a.m to about 10.30p.m most days? I switched back to hourly which is a bit inconvenient as work comes to a dead halt while the snapshot is in progress, trickly if you are in the middle of a delicate process like audio or video copying. Whatever the outcome I think it would have been more prudent to give a wider choice of snapshot schedules anyway, whats wrong with 4 hourly, 6 hourly etc: or user defined. It couldn't have been that hard to program in?

0 Kudos
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just discovered that my daily snapshots are not working either. I need to revert to a snapshot and I see that the last (and only) daily snapshot is from August 5. That's just great. At least before the Auto Protect feature was added I did occasional snapshots manually.

0 Kudos
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm still taking periodic snapshots myself as the daily ones don't work. Hopefully this will be addressed in the next update but I guess we have to wait and see.

Cheers

Russell

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Daily/weekly AutoProtect snapshots not triggering (unless you happen to leave the virtual machine up continuously for that long) has been fixed internally and will be present in the next release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos
manfredell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad you found the problem!!!!

Can't wait for the update, you managed to put in quite a few buggers Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can't wait for the update, you managed to put in quite a few buggers Smiley Wink

Not on purpose, I assure you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm at Version 2.0.5 (173382) and daily snapshots are not working. Normally I have the VM up about 12 hours a day, but I've left it up the last 48 hours and still no snapshot.

I'm on OS X 10.5.8 running Win XP in the VM.

-Lynn

0 Kudos