VMware Communities
dneri
Contributor
Contributor

after High Sierra 10.13.2 Update with Fusion 10.0.1 I get Unidentified Network on Windows 10

Hi,

after the last update of OSX.

I start my Windows 10 virtual machine on Fusion 10, at the beginning it work correctly then, after a while, I get Unidentified Network error message in the windows network adapter.

The error persist to the a simple windows restart operation.

The only way to solve the problem is to completely quit of fusion program, at the next start the network works fine for a while.

I use wifi in my Mac machine and the network configuration on fusion is the default "Shared with my Mac".

before the update I used HighSierra 10.13.1 and everything worked fine.

any suggestion?

Thank you

Domenico

29 Replies
rmcclung
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem after upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.2 today. Networking is broken for all of my 10.0.1 guest VMs (linux and windows).

0 Kudos
HurcoMv
Contributor
Contributor

If relevant I use a wired network and I always use Bridged Networking here at work and at home. I've not had any issues with the 10.13.2 high sierra update. Also running Fusion 10.0.1. Both Windows 10 and Windows 7 VM's are working fine.

Occasionally at a customer site I need to use wireless (on the Mac) and I then need to use NAT for the VM network if I want access to the Internet. I think this is more likely to be with how the customer configures their wireless network though.

0 Kudos
rmcclung
Contributor
Contributor

Switching from wireless to wired did the trick but it would be nice to have better understanding of why (and better yet a solution for) why wireless no longer works?

0 Kudos
resurgens
Contributor
Contributor

Any update? I am dead in the water and I don't have the option to plug in or use bridging as that would not be allowed in our environment. Please Help!

0 Kudos
resurgens
Contributor
Contributor

I found a work around as the issue appears to be caused by DHCP not working anymore. If you assign a static IP address to the vdi it works fine. To find the range you can follow these instructions to get the information. Hopefully they fix this soon..

Step 2: Modify dhcpd.conf

On my system, this file is located in /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/vmnet8, so edit the file (use sudo😞

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/vmnet8/dhcpd.conf 

Now, after where it says End of "DO NOT MODIFY SECTION" enter the following lines:

host Windows8x64 { hardware ethernet 00:0C:29:B6:22:3E; fixed-address  192.168.167.80; } 

Important: My VM’s name is actually “Windows 8 x64” so in the dhcpd.conf file you must refer to it with no spaces in the name, so Windows8x64.

Important: You must allocate an IP address that is outside the range defined inside the DO NOT MODIFY SECTION section. My range was set to range 192.168.167.128 192.168.167.254 so I can allocate any address under 192.168.167.128 (which means 192.168.167.1 to 192.168.167.127 are available).

act943
Contributor
Contributor

Can you clarify what Step 1 is?  I tried setting the IPv4 address inside the WIn10 VM to the same IP as the config as well as having it obtain automatically and both didn't work for me.

0 Kudos
rmcclung
Contributor
Contributor

As mentioned above, switching to wired connection enabled my guest VMs to work again. Soon after that I tried going back to wireless connection and that is now also working (don't ask me why).

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I wonder if this is related to my NAT/Bridged WIn10/WIn7 problem.  All of my Win10 VM's no longer work with NAT but do with bridged, but my WIn7 VM's still work with NAT.  Very very strange.

0 Kudos
resurgens
Contributor
Contributor

There is no step 1, I just pull those instructions on how to access what the dhcp configuration should be. You have to statically assign the client an ip from the range and use the router and dns information in that file. This is what I configured my computer to..

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-26-77-AB

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f146:ac1d:a68:2b46%11(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.24.128(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.24.2

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234884137

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-CA-FC-53-00-50-56-26-77-AB

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.24.2

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

0 Kudos
resurgens
Contributor
Contributor

Its not the NAT that is not working, its the dhcp assignments are not happening. If you statically assign the ip info NAT works fine.

0 Kudos
resurgens
Contributor
Contributor

This worked because your wired connection was able to push a dhcp address to your vm and when you switched to wireless it continued to use that ip. If you restart on wireless you may run into this issue unless apple or Vmware fix the dhcp issue.

0 Kudos
sergiorru
Contributor
Contributor

I've just uninstalled and installed Fusion again and the Network adapter (in NAT mode) come back to work again.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards.

S.O.

0 Kudos
aasi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Got the same problem and this worked for me https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1026510

In terminal I ran:

sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --configure
sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --stop
sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start

If that doesn't work, you might need to change the "answer VNET_8_HOSTONLY_SUBNET XXX.XXX.XXX.0" line in /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/networking file

for example i had  answer VNET_8_HOSTONLY_SUBNET 172.16.195.0 which you can try to change VNET_8_HOSTONLY_SUBNET 172.16.194.0 etc. and then run the three commands.

sschueller
Contributor
Contributor

We have this issue as well on all our systems that have upgraded. The DHCP stops working and the vm has to be stopped, vmware ended and restarted in order to get it working again. It happens randomly but could also be connected to when OSX goes into suspend.

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you try to restart network services by the following command:

sudo  /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --stop

sudo  /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start

DrDomski
Contributor
Contributor

nancyz​ - brilliant, this solved my problem

(my setup is High Sierra 10.13.2 / Fusion 10.1.1 / Windows 7)

it restored internet connectivity immediately to both my virtual machines which was lost after an upgrade to 10.13.12/10.1.1

0 Kudos
sbender123
Contributor
Contributor

That commands gave me an error:

Failed to enable hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet1

Failed to start DHCP service on vmnet1

Failed to start NAT service on vmnet8

Failed to enable hostonly virtual adapter on vmnet8

Failed to start DHCP service on vmnet8

Failed to start some/all services

So I completely removed Fusion (VMware Knowledge Base ) and reinstalled it.

Now the Fusion DHCP service works again.

However, I lost 2 hours of working time. Thank you Vmware...

0 Kudos
gkslender
Contributor
Contributor

would be good to see VMWare fix this... waiting....

0 Kudos
RobNovak
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I just had the issue after installing 10.13.3 (not 2) and the reset fixed it (for now at least!)

0 Kudos