VMware Communities
JHann
Contributor
Contributor

Zune software won't play files in VM, but will in Boot Camp

I'm running Fusion on a Boot Camp installation of Windows XP, and I ran into a strange issue while running Microsoft's Zune software in the VM. Basically, I get this error whenever I try to play a file:

"Zune software either does not support the file type or does not support the codec that was used to create the file".

The best part is, if I boot in Boot Camp, I can play the file without a hitch. This happens with mp3s and mp4 videos. Unfortunately, I need to use the Zune software to stream video and music to my XBox 360, and that's also not working. Strangely, QuickTime has no trouble playing such files. Has anyone else run into this? Know of a workaround? If it helps, I'm running this on a new iMac 24" with 2 GB of RAM.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
8 Replies
aetm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/software/minsystemreqs.htm

Needs : Video card with 32 MB of RAM (video RAM or VRAM) or better (64 MB VRAM and Microsoft© DirectXE 9.0b or later for video)

DirectXE is why it doesn't want to play it.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

mp3 works for me. I don't have any mp4s on hand, but I recall they worked too. I found the Zune software to be annoying and unreliable, and other reports say this is true even on native hardware. My setup is Zune 1.3.5728.0 on XP Pro SP 2, 160 MB to the guest.

For the streaming to the XBox, what type of networking are you using? If it's not Bridged, try that.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think those requirements are bogus. My VM has the default 16 MB VRAM and no 3D acceleration; it certainly doesn't explain why an mp3 won't play.

0 Kudos
JHann
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I had the XBox streaming working from a VM before, but I don't remember if it was VMWare or Parallels. Also, each of those two previous VMs were on virtual disks, not a Boot Camp partition. The networking on my current VM is bridged, but I was not able to stream to the 360 when it was NATed. On the 360, I can browse my media just fine, but when I try to play it, I get an error. Strangely, the preview images show up. Argh! I'm considering reinstalling Parallels, but I don't want to hose the system by having two different VMs pointed at the same physical partition.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe you have a firewall on or something?

0 Kudos
JHann
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I think Windows firewall is enabled, but when you install Zune and configure it for sharing, it pokes holes through the firewall for the ports it requires. I haven't had any issues with that on previous installations. I'll try disabling it tonight, though, couldn't hurt. Also, the mac software firewall is disabled.

0 Kudos
JHann
Contributor
Contributor

Victory! So, I'm still not able to play mp4's or mp3's in Zune through the VM, but I don't care, because I can stream to the 360! Last night, I tried a few things to get this to work, including:

Uninstalling and reinstalling Zune and Windows Media Player 11

Re-activating Windows (I activated XP in the VM first, it prompted me for activation again when I booted natively (oops), so I had call MS, activate XP natively in Boot Camp, delete the VMDK for that VM, and recreate it (which was good, in that it reminded me of one reason I switched to a Mac))

Still, in the VM, Zune said it couldn't read the file, so I figured that it wouldn't be able to stream it to the 360, either. Tonight, I disabled Windows Firewall on VM and tried to access my Media Library from the 360. It failed to contact the computer entirely (previously, I could browse my library but couldn't launch anything). I clicked "Connect to another computer", and it detected the new library and played the movies without a hitch. I re-enabled Windows Firewall and tried it again, still works. So, I can't say with certainty which step solved the issue, but hopefully this will help anyone else that runs into it.

0 Kudos
JHann
Contributor
Contributor

After some additional testing, I've narrowed down the cause of this issue. In the first installation of the Zune library, I imported my music from
ComputerName\Shared\Music. The import appeared to be successful, but I got an error when I tried to stream it to my XBox 360. In the second installation Zune, I imported my music from
.host\Shared Folders\Music and that worked. I'm pretty sure this was permissions issue. I have SMB file sharing enabled on my Mac, and was prompted for my credentials when I added the
ComputerName\Shared\Music path. I think the import worked because I was authenticated on that share, and the Zune application runs under my windows account. However, the Zune sharing service runs as Network Service, which does not have access to the share. The .host share doesn't require authentication, which I think is why it works when pointed to that path.

0 Kudos