VMware Communities
eightace
Contributor
Contributor

Your video card or driver does not support DirectX 11.

With a fresh install of VMware Fusion 12.1.0 running Windows 10 I get this when I try to launch a game on Steam. Dxdiag gives me the following the info attached; is there a problem or can I just not use DirectX 11 games on Fusion 12?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@eightace 

Check the requirements here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/12/rn/VMware-Fusion-12-Release-Notes.html

Not sure if you also need VMware Tools installed in Windows.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
eightace
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools 11.1.5 is installed. Tried reinstalling it too but no different. Using MacOS Big Sur but it was like this on Catalina too I think.

0 Kudos
eightace
Contributor
Contributor

I can't believe nobody else has this issue. I tried a fresh install of Big Sur and VMware fusion pro and got exactly the same.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Are you on the latest virtual hardware?

With the VM shut down, go to settings, compatibility and make sure that you selected the last virtual hardware version that is available.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
davlevy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar issue running VMware Workstation Player (not pro).  There does not appear to be a way to upgrade the hardware compatibility.

0 Kudos