VMware Communities
sacohen9665
Contributor
Contributor

You can only install this software on the disk that is running macOS

I'm getting the following error message when I try to install VMware tools on my Mac OS Mojave Virtual Machine.
VMware tools can't be installed on this disk, You can only install this software on the disk that is running macOS

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall VMware tools and I still get the same message.

TIA;

Steve

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please state which VMware product you are using to run this VM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sacohen9665
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick reply, Scott.

I thought I put that in my original message. but it is 
VMware Fusion Professional Version 12.0.0 (16880131).

Steve
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMTN has an area for Fusion, a moderator should be along to move your thread there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Is the guest OS set correctly to macOS Mojave?

You can change the guest OS when the VM is shut down (not suspended).

The setting is to be found via the menu "Virtual Machine" -> Settings -> General -> OS

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos