VMware Communities
mcr2582
Contributor
Contributor

You are running VMware Fusion with logging turned off.

I am getting this message on a VM I was given for work. i could find nowhere in preferences or help where I might specify whether logging is enabled or not. I tried turning on debugging in preferences, but that resulted in a different message, but at least that one told me where to go to turn it off.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's probably something in the .vmx config file - attach it so we can have a look (see if you need help finding it). I'm guessing someone gave you this virtual machine, do you know if they're OK with logging (e.g. is this a corporate setting)?

mcr2582
Contributor
Contributor

It's a corporate setting. I believe the VM is supposed to be emulating a device we're engineering, so it's possible it was turned off intentionally. It's just that fusion doesn't tell you that could be the case, only that it's off and apparently worthy of warning you about.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a suggestion for alternate wording? I think the assumption is that if you (or somebody) is editing the .vmx config file, you know what you're doing and don't need to be told about it.

0 Kudos
mcr2582
Contributor
Contributor

I guess the issue is that I was given the image, I had nothing to do with creating it. As a user of the image, I didn't know logging existed, much less that it could be turned on or off and what the implications are of each option. So it's a warning that creates more questions than it solves. Here is the vmx file. This is the first time I've looked at one (thus my confusion).

0 Kudos
mcr2582
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the file as I got it from the archive, before it was modified by Fusion.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm going to guess that some combination of the following lines are responsible:

logging = "FALSE"

monitor_control.log_vmsample = "FALSE"

Whether or not you want to remove them is probably a question for your manager or whoever made the image.

0 Kudos