VMware Communities
Gianluca84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yosemite and Fusion 7 - Very Very Slow

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my iMac with Yosemite and Fusion 7. All works fine but I have very poor video performance. My VM work if I move mouse cursor ONLY. If I do nothing it stops to run everything! It seems to go in standby mode! With Mavericks and Fusion 6 it was perfect! Any Help?

Tanks!!!

45 Replies
PeterPurple
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a slow issue with Mac Mini late 2012 and MacBook early 2011. Issues started when I upgraded to Yosemite then Fusion 8 from Fusion 5.

After a Windows restart my VM works OK for a while but the next morning it is always terribly slow. I get "Not responding" status on my IAR IDE window for minutes at a time.

I have Windows 7 sleep disabled (for a long while now), heard there are sometimes issue with that, but this did not help.

The boot-args thing did not work for me. I have now disabled file sharing. Will report back if it work. I will know tomorrow.

Update: slow again. Disabling file sharing did not work.

m4v3rick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

‌ Great additional post and info's! I use an additional GTX-670-FTW-4GB PC Edition (i.c.w. an old ATI 2600 HD Mac Edition for bootscreens) in my cMP 5.1 (2012) and my system highly relies on the Nvidia web drivers for OS X 10.10.5 for CUDA computing.

$ sudo nvram -p | grep boot-args

boot-args      nvda_drv=1

I don't have the kext-dev-mode=1 args on my system. Please advise me how to combine in a sudo command all three:

1. nvda_drv=1

2. kext-dev-mode=1

3. debug=0x10

Will this do the trick:

sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x10 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1"

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ VMware Fusion 8.1 - TRIAL > MP 5.1 (2012) DODECA @ 2.66 Ghz | OSX 10.10.5 (14F1021) | 24GB 1333MHz | 840 EVO's @ DUO X2 | WD RED 4TB RAID0 | 2600 HD XT (MAC) + GTX-670 FTW 4GB (PC)
0 Kudos
cram501
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I made some tweaks on my Macbook Pro that helped fix my problem.   With these settings, Version 8 has continued work fine for me.

I posted this in a previous thread (listed below).

I've been having the same problem since V7 came out (slowness problem, not reclaimable space issue).  At some point, from 1 hour to 7 days, all of my VMs would slow to a crawl.  The only solution was to close them all, close vmware, and restart.  I've spent months tweaking different settings.

I made a few manual tweaks after searching the net and seeing some common settings that were recommended.  After 4-6 weeks my problem has not reappeared.  I'm not sure which of those settings solved my problem but you may want to give them a try.   I haven't gone back and figured out which setting or combination of settings helped since the issue is sporadic and I want to get work done.  I posted this same information in this thread (Guest OS's get unusably slow after a few hours / after restoring a snapshot).

The settings I have added are:

mainMem.backing = "swap"

scsi0:0.virtualSSD = 1

MemTrimRate = "0"

sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"

MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"

As usual, back up your vm and use at your own risk.  They have worked fine for me so far but each install is different.

0 Kudos
m4v3rick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For those who don't edit .vmx files as a day job like myself, I've found this KB from VMware for the "how to"‌, it came in very handy for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ VMware Fusion 8.1 - TRIAL > MP 5.1 (2012) DODECA @ 2.66 Ghz | OSX 10.10.5 (14F1021) | 24GB 1333MHz | 840 EVO's @ DUO X2 | WD RED 4TB RAID0 | 2600 HD XT (MAC) + GTX-670 FTW 4GB (PC)
0 Kudos
meschi109
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Darius -

I am still on Mavericks (10.9.5)  with Fusion 8.1.1 encountering this slow issue.  I did disable file sharing which has improved it somewhat, but still not useable enough.

Question: is it safe to run the sudo nvram boot-args=debug=0x10 fix on Mavericks (vs Yosemite) ?

Thanks ... Meschi

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Apologies for the late reply...

I honestly have no idea at all if it will help.  I'm not aware of Mavericks having the particular problem that the command is supposed to work around, but it might just be that you are the first person to try and report to the forums here. Smiley Wink  It's a bit difficult to predict whether the fix will be effective, since the fix is technically supposed to make absolutely no difference to the system at all.  That it works for some Yosemite systems is a surprise in itself.

As long as you haven't already configured your own boot-args, there is no harm in running the command and rebooting and seeing if it helps.  If you have configured boot-args before, or if you want to double-check, see JBingham's most excellent post for instructions: Re: Yosemite and Fusion 7 - Very Very Slow

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos