VMware Communities
Jnardis
Contributor
Contributor

Yosemite/VMFusion issue

My screen keeps on flickering very quickly and when I click on a drop down (for example when I'm trying to choose a printer on Microsoft word), the drop down flickers and then disappears.  It won't let me choose anything.  Anyone else having this issue?  I'm on fusion 7 and the new Yosemite.  This never happened when I was Maverick and Fusion 5. 

33 Replies
Jeer007
Contributor
Contributor

I have got the same problem after upgrading to Yosemite. I'm running Fusion 6.0.5.

0 Kudos
u25se
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, I'm also on Yosemite/VMFusion 6.0.5

It flickers when I move between the OS and VM Fusion windows.

0 Kudos
aclem08
Contributor
Contributor

Same for me. Makes it nearly unusable. Very frustrating

0 Kudos
Jeer007
Contributor
Contributor

An upgrade to Fusion 7 Pro resolved the problem for me. Just to pay and forget. 😕

Jnardis
Contributor
Contributor

😕   That's a great marketing approach on their part, but not acceptable.  Txs for the note!

0 Kudos
Mormor58
Contributor
Contributor

I had a flickering problem with 6.0.5.  Upgraded to 7 and while the flickering stopped, many more issues became apparent.  The only way I can get a program to open on the PC side is to keep moving my mouse, otherwise it freezes and times out,

VM tools want to keep reinstalling, can't work without entering Unity view, then get a message that Fusion 7 can't continue in Unity, and all PC programs become non-responsive.  Tried to restore to Fusion 6.0 because it seemed to work well with Yosemite, but it wasn't available as a restore point.  Will not pay the money to upgrade to Fusion 7 Pro, these bugs should be worked out before they make the upgrade available to us.  Seriously considering going back to Boot Camp.

0 Kudos
ChipRodgers
Contributor
Contributor

I have the SAME PROBLEM.   Just upgraded to Yosemite and my VM blinks and loses the focus every time I return from Mac to the Windows VM.   I'm on v 6.0.5.   And considering the issue described below about problems with Yosemite and Fusion 7.0, I'm not inclined to upgrade either.

Hello VMWare...???    Are you listening???

0 Kudos
ranknovice
Contributor
Contributor

I have also encountered the flicker on entry into Vmware fusion 6.0.5 / fullscreen on Yosemite on my late 2013 MPB. Resolves with Vmware 7. It seemed to coincide with the focus handoff on entry to Fusion, as the  flicker occurred when changing from a hand cursor to a pointer. There was also flickering at random times while inside fusion. As others found, the flickering made 6.0.5 unusable.

However,  Yosemite and fusion 6.0.5 coexist just fine on a couple of older macs (2009, 2010) which predate the intel integrated graphics.

0 Kudos
ChipRodgers
Contributor
Contributor

BTW, I also constantly have to reboot Fusion (1-3 times per day) because the CPUs get pinned.   This was happening even before I upgraded to Yosemite.   Still happening today.

CPU Load.jpg     MBP Specs.jpg

Any ideas what the issue is?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Make sure you don't give more than N-1 cores to the VM.  If you have antivirus software in the guest, turn off scheduled scans and just use autoprotect.  Also disable system restore in the guest.

0 Kudos
Bloodys
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. At the moment I work in a Single Window and work fine. But is imposible to work in a full windows. (Fusion 6.0.5)

0 Kudos
stevieb33
Contributor
Contributor

I am using version 6.0.5 and have the same issue so many have described here -> After upgrading my Mac OS to Yosemite, the console window frequently flickers. The most annoying trigger is changing window focus within the guest (and that happens a lot). The guest console window never flickered at all under Mavericks.

VMWare - Please Note: As for upgrading to version 7, v6 didn't last much more than a year and the upgrade price is the same as for v5 -> v6. Further, the "first time purchase" price of v5 was lower that the upgrade price for v5->v6. Keeping up-to-date has become way too pricey. Even Quicken, which gives you nothing for upgrading, lasts for 3 years. I understand that upgrades can't always be free. But if you want customers to keep upgrading even when the time period between versions is short, you need to set a lower upgrade price.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

0 Kudos
dmax
Contributor
Contributor

+1 for me on the flickering problem. The flicker happens when switching from from a native mac app to fusion and vice-versa. Also when the mouse pointer switches from an arrow to a hand. It goes away if I run in Unity mode but I really hate Unity. This is incredibly annoying. Waiting on my company to purchase the v7 upgrade. Was going to run a trial version but apparently I installed that sometime in the past (never used) and am out of time.

0 Kudos
NM123
Contributor
Contributor

Agree. Same issue here. It is unusable - and therefore a major issue for my work. I am on 6.0.5 and was fine until the weekend, when I upgraded to Yosemite. Then - ka-boom! Shocking of VM Ware if the only answer is to upgrade to 7. I am really hoping they come to the party, as this is a significant issue.

0 Kudos
ChipRodgers
Contributor
Contributor

I got a reply on a support ticket saying it's fixed with version 7 and I just need to upgrade to version 7 and all will be OK.

But I'm hearing from our internal IT team that they've been testing Yosemite / Fusion 7.0.1 and finding the flickering still happening with the new version as well.

Not good.

0 Kudos
Jnardis
Contributor
Contributor

I updated to 7 and everything is working perfectly 

ChipRodgers
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks... good to know!

0 Kudos
ranknovice
Contributor
Contributor

I had the fusion 6.0.5 / Yosemite osx 10.10 flicker issue  on my 2013 mbp. Fusion 7 did eliminate the flicker that made 6.0.5  unusable, and I upgraded just yesterday after running the trial for a few weeks. (Still running fusion 6.0.5/Yosemite on older hardware with no flicker problems.) I suppose it's possible that Yosemite 10.10.1 (arrived yesterday) may have fixed something which fixes 6.0.5 on this hardware, it may be worth investigating...

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B11

SMC Version (system): 2.18f15

Serial Number (system): C02LL2SUFD58

0 Kudos
dmax
Contributor
Contributor

Yosemite 10.10.1 did not help the issue with Fusion 6.0.5.

0 Kudos