VMware Communities
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Xbox One controller wont work unless I use USB 2.0 controller

Has anyone got around this? I can't use the 2.0 controller because my games are located on a drive that's USB 3.0 and doesn't work with the 2.0 controller...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Bloomingdale
Contributor
Contributor

I'm mystified by this question. What is preventing you from plugging your controller into a 2.0 port if your 3.0 port is occupied by the external drive?

Or is it that the controller will not work if your external storage is plugged in and using the 3.0 port?

0 Kudos
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Fusion is Mac software. Macs don't have other ports than USB 3.0 (unless running a pre-2012 Mac). So like, physically my computer only has 3.0 ports.

The issue is that the Xbox gamepad won't work if the guest has a USB 3.0 controller, but the gamepad works if I set the Win guest to a USB 2.0 controller.

However, with the USB 2.0 controller, my external drive won't work due to some USB malfunction error.

0 Kudos
Bloomingdale
Contributor
Contributor

I see. Does your mac only have one USB controller?

0 Kudos
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well yeah?

0 Kudos
Bloomingdale
Contributor
Contributor

Then I'n stumped. I've had my own issues with usb 2.0 devices malfunctioning with 3.0 host controllers and what I did was replace the device with a model featuring USB 3.0 instead of wasting more time trying to troubleshoot.

Maybe that could be an alternative for you? there ard third party manufacturers of xbox compatible controllers after all. Have you tried using a hub or dock to see if that might be a workaround?

0 Kudos
Piipperi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All Xbox One gamepads use the 2.0 interface tho?

Do you understand that the problem is with a GAMEPAD.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That last suggestion of "please try using a usb2 hub" actually is a very good suggestion and it is likely to work.
By using a USB2 hub you are forcing the mac to downgrade the interface to usb2 instead of having it try usb3 which as you found out does not work for your controller.

Moderator note: Please don't use "do you understand" kind of rhetoric, it is pretty aggressive to use against somebody who is actively trying to help you.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Bloomingdale
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a wireless xbox one controller with the receiver plugged into a USB 3.0 extension cable. While this works great it was a massive pain in the ass to first find and then install the correct drivers to get it working.

Now it's all done however it's permanently passed through to a vm and has been giving me no problems past those first teething issues.

I'm not necessarily recommending this as an option unless you're prepared to go on a driver hunt but it allows for an xbox one controller to be used with a USB 3.0 port.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Seems you might have to edit your .vmx file in order to get this to work properly.
See the suggestions from @koi in the following Workstation thread:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/Win10-Guest-vs-Xbox-One-Controller-wired...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos