VMware Communities
mikalia
Contributor
Contributor

XP guest crashes when requesting unavailable USB HD

Guest healthy otherwise, running on fully loaded iMac 24. Click connect on a USB hard drive that isn't mounted on the Mac host. The guest disappears from the screen. Can't restart without rebooting the Mac or stopping all the vmware processes, which are all still running.

Does anyone know what this is or how to reopen the guest interface when this happens?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Click connect on a USB hard drive that isn't mounted on the Mac host.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - are you unmounting a USB drive, then connecting it?

The guest disappears from the screen. Can't restart without rebooting the Mac or stopping all the vmware processes, which are all still running.

Might be a UI crash, in which case you can get back to the virtual machine by opening it again.

What version of Fusion is this? Are there any backtraces in the logs (see )?

0 Kudos
mikalia
Contributor
Contributor

I think we are saying the same thing: I am pressing "Connect" in the Settings of the VM when the physical drive is not mounted on the Mac. Poof.

It does seem like a UI crash because all of the other services are still running on the Mac after the crash. But I cannot restart the VM without restarting the Mac or killing all VM-related daemons on the Mac first. I will let you know if I see log info that is helpful. This is 113 (94249). Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos