VMware Communities
mkuder
Contributor
Contributor

XP VM suddenly will not work

Hello, new poster to these forums, because fusion has worked great for me for almost a year!

I'm running an XP Pro SP3 VM (32 bit english) guest under OSX leopard host on MBPro. Today seemingly out of the clear of the blue XP (in full screen mode) would not read any cd/dvd's If I suspended the vm as soon as it was "off" the disk would play on the OSX desktop. With disk inserted in machine XP was very sluggish. When I tried to look at XP's device manager I could get to the info box and see an exclamation point next to the cd drive but then the VM was then frozen. The only way to get out was to exit to OSX and close fusion. Upon restart of the vm the same frozen state returned. If I shut down the vm (exit windows) upon restart I got a system error "missing or corrupt ...\CONFIG file insert install disk and press r"

Could someone please help me troubleshoot this issue? As I said thsi is a completely new problem as of today and nothing has changed on my system. I don't even know where to start.

Thanks-

Mike

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mkuder
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I forgot that I am running Fusion 2.05 and have uninstalled and reinstalled with no change.

0 Kudos
mkuder
Contributor
Contributor

I want to add more info. This behavior is happening for all of my XP VMs which leads me to believe there is something wrong with drivers or fusion and not the vm's themselves. (tho they are now trashed) They crashes seem related to accessing the dvd drive.

thanks for any help you can offer!

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you see any Input / Output errors from the Mac's system.log ?

That would be a tell-tale sign of a failing hard disk...

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos