VMware Communities
Kahne
Contributor
Contributor

XP Slowwwww

I recently upgraded to fusion 1.1 from 1.0 and now XP is vvverry slow and occasionally crashes on my MacBook Pro. Other than upgrading to Fusion 1.1 I've not changed any of the XP parameters. XP use to fly prior to the upgrade... Any thougths

J

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

My XP virtual machine is getting kinda slow these days too... although I suspect that may have something to do with Outlook trying to deal with my 1.5GB inbox. Smiley Happy

What do the crashes look like when they occur? Are the messages coming from Windows or from Fusion? If you could post a screenshot, that would be great.

How much memory is allocated to your virtual machine, and how much does your Mac have?

Is your Mac running Tiger or Leopard?

Any changes to your pattern of usage? I myself had to bump the amount of memory allocated to my virtual machine when I started using Adobe Illustrator in it.

0 Kudos
Kahne
Contributor
Contributor

The crashes look like hang-ups ‹ the hour glass just comes on and doesn¹t go

away ‹ no blue screen of death just a stoppage. It then takes the Mac side

with it ‹ the whole computer slows and I¹ve had to force close Vmware ‹

which usually settles the Mac down but there have been a couple of time

where forcing Vmware close didn¹t effect the Mac side and I had to reboot

the Mac. I¹ve also noticed that when I boot up the XP side my Mac starts

running hot ‹ the fans kick on and both CPU¹s heat up (running a widget that

keeps track of stuff like that). I¹ve got 512 of the 2g on the memory side

and I¹m still running Tiger. About the only Œpattern¹ is I¹ve been doing

more PowerPoint on the Mac side but nothing really all that different on the

XP side.

Jeff

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:19:48 -0800

To: <jkahne@earthlink.net>

Subject: New message: "XP Slowwwww"

A new message was posted in the thread "XP Slowwwww":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/863975

Author : brianriceca

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/brianriceca

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I've had to force close Vmware ‹which usually settles the Mac down

That's interesting, because doing a Force Quit on a running virtual machine has no effect on the virtual machine. All Force Quit does is to kill the virtual machine's user interface. When you relaunch Fusion and go back to the same virtual machine, you'll find that it was still running the whole time.

I've also noticed that when I boot up the XP side my Mac starts running hot

Virtual machines do use CPU time when they are idle. I am curious: is your virtual machine based on a Boot Camp partition or on ordinary virtual disks (i.e., files in your Mac OS home directory)? In my own informal experimentation, the CPU time consumption of Boot Camp virtual machines seems greater than that of virtual-disk virtual machines.

and both CPU's heat up

Is your virtual machine configured to use 1 or 2 virtual CPUs? Configuring a VM with 2 virtual CPUs is usually only beneficial for users who are running CPU-intensive multi-threaded applications. You might experiment with changing your virtual machine to use only 1 virtual CPU, and see if you notice a difference in behavior.

0 Kudos