VMware Communities
Hawkcode
Contributor
Contributor

XP Hangs on SHutdown, Can't restart

Hi,

I'm evaluating VMFusion, currently a Paralles user,

I just converted a parallels VM to try with VMFusion and went to shut down XP and it froze on the SHutting Windows Down Blue screen. There is nothing I can do to get it killed.

I have even tried force quiting VMFusion. When I try to run the VM again, it's in the same state. It doesn't respond to the Send Ctrl Alt Delete either.

Thanks

Rich

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you follow the conversion instructions about either adding the CLIHLT option or changing the HAL?

You can force a powerdown of the virtual machine by holding option and going to Virtual Machine > Power Off.

0 Kudos
Hawkcode
Contributor
Contributor

I apparently didn't read that far Smiley Sad I will try the force shutdown, is it to late to do the CLIHLT opthion?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just in case you managed to convert your VM without Brian's guide[/url], the steps I'm referring to are around page 12. You can still add the CLIHLT option, it's not too late.

The reason you couldn't kill the virtual machine is because we have two processes - the UI process, which shows up as VMware Fusion in Activity Monitor, and the actual virtual machine process, which shows up as vmware-vmx in Activity Monitor and is owned by root. Force-quitting via the dock will only kill the UI process, but the virtual machine will continue running.

0 Kudos
Hawkcode
Contributor
Contributor

I did use his guid, very helpfull. I went to try option 1 but that change was already in the file. I then tried it and it shuts down fine.

Now my problem is it needs to be activated and by phone. The activate screen has 4 little x's, kind of like when a graphic doesn't load on a web page, and one of the x's blocks out the number I have to tell MS.

It is no wonder I hate MS!!!

Rich

0 Kudos