VMware Communities
stardog
Contributor
Contributor

XP Folders read-only

Using VMWare Fusion 1.1 with Leopard 10.5.1, My guest OS is XP Pro. No matter what I do, I cannot create a folder that is NOT read-only. This causes several problems with other programs that need to create files. This seems to have started happening since upgrading from the 1.1 beta to the 1.1 release. I have tried reinstalling XP a couple times and have the same problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled 1.1 and still have the problem. I don't have the 1.1 beta anymore, but I have the 1.0 Fusion. I am going to try uninstalling 1.1 and reinstall 1.0 and see if this works. I also tried running a Vista VM and it too will not let me create folders that are not read-only. This is a major problem as any program that has to create any files fails to function. This is probably the problem that many others in this forum are seeing with applications crashing.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
stardog
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, I give up, how does one get a windows installation to work correctly when all folders are flagged as read-only.

To recreate this, I simply open explorer, click c:, create a new folder (name it anything), click properties on that new folder, and it always shows the Read-Only as checked. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? Did I miss some option to make the drive Read-Write?

0 Kudos
jfriesne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very odd... if the drive was really read-only, I'd expect that you wouldn't be able to create a folder either (since creating a folder requires writing to the disk).

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you open an MS-DOS prompt and type:

c:

cd \

mkdir SomeFolder

cd SomeFolder

echo "hi" > SomeFile.txt

Do you see a "SomeFolder" folder show up in your C drive, with SomeFile.txt in it?

0 Kudos
bflad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did some checking of my own... this is related to Windows and not Mac OS or VMware Fusion. I get the same results on a non-Apple regular old PC.

The deal is if you if look carefully at the Read-Only box in Properties, it is filled and not a check. This is standard for Windows to tag folders like this. I imagine it has something to do with special permissions (nothing you need to worry about).

I think you can rest assured your folders are read/write as long as you didn't do something odd to your Windows setup. You are right to assume not much would work right if all of your folders were read-only Smiley Happy

~Brian

0 Kudos
stardog
Contributor
Contributor

Very odd... if the drive was really read-only, I'd expect that you wouldn't be able to create a folder either (since creating a folder requires writing to the disk).

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you open an MS-DOS prompt and type:

c:

cd \

mkdir SomeFolder

cd SomeFolder

echo "hi" > SomeFile.txt

Do you see a "SomeFolder" folder show up in your C drive, with SomeFile.txt in it?

This works, however, the SomeFolder is flagged as Read-Only. I discovered this problem when using a program that needed to create folders and download files into the folders, when I went to look for the files I had downloaded, they were not there, that's when I tracked down that the program was not able to create the folder, therefore it could save my files.

0 Kudos