VMware Communities
elcapit
Contributor
Contributor

Would VMWare Fusion 7.1.1 be compatible with El Capitan or Sierra?

VMware Knowledge Base

Here it says that it's not supported after Yosemite, but does that mean the app will not open or will not operate even if I tried?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Could be a few things. But why risk it? Why not get a version which is known to work on the OS version you have?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Had a quick look at my personal notes and it says this about your scenario:

As far as I know you need at least Fusion 8 to be able to run it on macOS Sierra. Fusion 7 might work, but in that case expect to see some problems like crashing.

So no, I cannot recommend running Fusion 7 on macOS Sierra.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Just to extend those comments, all of that software - Fusion 8.x, El Cap, and Sierra, are out of support.  If you do use old versions, those machines should be isolated and stay off the internet.

0 Kudos
elcapit
Contributor
Contributor

wila, what about El Capitan?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I do not have that in my notes, might or might not work. Unfortunately I have forgotten the details, it's just too long ago.

FWIW, I completely subscribe to what dlhotka has said, all of that has known - and thus by now severe - security issues.

PS: VMware Fusion 7.1.3 was the latest version in the Fusion 7.x range. Released in December 2015.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos