VMware Communities
SterlingButters
Contributor
Contributor

Wireless on Virtualized partition

I am running BackTrack 5 on a virtualized partition, and it used to be that when I booted up into the OS via rEFInd, I could view Wireless networks, but I believe that after the installation of VMWare tools, wireless networks no longer appear but rather just a wired connection that does not exist and therefore no internet connection. Running as a virtual machine, it works great but I need to be able to view wireless networks on both the vm and the actual OS, was hoping someone could shed some light. Here is a sort of related problem and I am open to requests for information to resolve the problem: Re: Wireless Network Discovery

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I've already answerd this in the other thread however I reiterated it in Re: Wireless Network Discovery

0 Kudos
SterlingButters
Contributor
Contributor

My question in the other discussion was why can I not view wireless networks when in the VM, here my question is why can I not connect to wireless networks when I boot into the OS, like actually BOOT, The Virtual Machine is shared with a partition.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In the OP of this thread you state, "but I need to be able to view wireless networks on both the vm and the actual OS" and as I've told you already the only way you're going to be able to view wireless networks from an OS run in or as a Virtual Machine is if you attached a USB WiFi Network Adapter to the Virtual Machine.

As far as seeing wireless networks when booting the physical install of the OS natively that has nothing to do with VMware per se and any issue you have while booting the physical install of the OS natively will have to be diagnosed/troubleshoot from that perspective while looking to the manufacture of the natively installed OS not necessarily VMware unless you can show direct cause and effect.  Meaning if you think VMware Tools messed something up while running natively then uninstall VMware Tools and start diagnostics/troubleshooting from there.

0 Kudos
SterlingButters
Contributor
Contributor

It was just a matter of uninstalling and then reinstalling VMware tools, if problem persists, will repost

0 Kudos