VMware Communities
SterlingButters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wireless Network Discovery

I've been wondering how to get my VM to be able to view and connect to wireless networks where the network adapter isnt a wired connection but instead my Airport Extreme Broacom b43 so I can see the verious wifi networks and connect to them, I thought that I had done it once but now I am not sure. I have also tried messing around with the network adapter settings but with no avail. Please Help!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The smallest USB WiFi Network Adapter that I've used is an ASUS Wireless N USB 2.0 Adapter that I purchased 3 of from Micro Center.  They are being used on 3 Desktop Systems in a Commercial Office and have worked well in that application.  Unfortunately that is stationary use application as the position of the systems and the router never changes.  I used these so they would not project out to far from the case and get damaged or damage the motherboard if accidentally hit by the cleaning personnel.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Remove information about the ASUS Mini Bluetooth Dongle as it was not a WiFi Network Adapter. (Now to go have a cup of coffee.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Regardless of what type Physical Network Adapters the Host has a Virtual Machine is presented a Virtual Wired Ethernet Network Adapter by VMware Fusion and if you want WiFi in a Guest OS then you need to provide your own USB WiFi Network Adapter and connect it directly to the Virtual Machine.

SterlingButters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So there is absolutely no way to forward the wireless network connections to the guest OS? (Going through my internal Airport Extreme) Or any way to allow the Airport Extreme that is in use to be available appearing as a USB? Are there any possibilities or is what you described my only option?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What explicitly and or specifically did you not understand with what I said in Re: Wireless Network Discovery?

Read the documentation! Smiley Wink  Specifically Virtual Hardware Specifications.

0 Kudos
SterlingButters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Specifically, I do not understand  "Up to 10 virtual Ethernet cards" and "Three virtual hubs are configured by default for bridged, host-only, and NAT networking"... How is it that I cannot somehow locate my wireless internet card and use it as a virtual Ethernet card, reconfiguring a virtual hub to view wifi networks. Im sure there has to be some instance of it working or some kind of alternative just so that I dont have to plug in or buy a separate usb wireless detecting device. I understand what you have said so far, I am just wondering if there is anything I might look into or something.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you want WiFi in a Guest OS then you need to provide your own USB WiFi Network Adapter and connect it directly to the Virtual Machine!

VMware provides no other option for direct WiFi within a Virtual Machine and provides only what is shown in the documentation I provided you a link to!

0 Kudos
SterlingButters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible that there will some sort of update that will allow the internal card to be used?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well I guess it could be said that anything is possible however how probable is a different story altogether and only time will tell.  Also VMware Policy wouldn't allow their employees to discuss unannounced features, time lines, etc. so until then you've been told what you'd need to do to have direct access to wireless networks from an OS being run from a Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
SterlingButters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well then, any recommendations on incredibly small wireless adapters, like the size of the Bluetooth adapter (for the purpose of never having to remove it) that has fair range and reasonable price?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The smallest USB WiFi Network Adapter that I've used is an ASUS Wireless N USB 2.0 Adapter that I purchased 3 of from Micro Center.  They are being used on 3 Desktop Systems in a Commercial Office and have worked well in that application.  Unfortunately that is stationary use application as the position of the systems and the router never changes.  I used these so they would not project out to far from the case and get damaged or damage the motherboard if accidentally hit by the cleaning personnel.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Remove information about the ASUS Mini Bluetooth Dongle as it was not a WiFi Network Adapter. (Now to go have a cup of coffee.)

0 Kudos
SterlingButters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A little late for me to reply nor do I want to keep this post going for too long, but is there anyway to know if the wireless feature (using internal wireless card) will be available soon, or to suggest it, or something? Dying for it here

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are by no means the first user wanting to have direct access to the Host's WiFi Network Adapter and this has been covered many times before this post.  VMware is aware that users would like this however it is against VMware Policy to discuss unannounced features, time lines etc.  So if ever and when will remain a mystery for now and in the interim the solution/workaround has been provided.

0 Kudos