VMware Communities
karrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows screen is frozen

My VM ware Windows XP is frozen on "Windows is Shutting Down". It does not shut down or restart.

I can activate the Virtual Machine from all files and I can quit the Virtual Machine, but the

Windows screen does not do anything. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the Virtual Machine running... VMware Fusion menu > Virtual Machine > press the Option key and then select Power Off or Reset.

Or With the Virtual Machine closed open the Virtual Machine Package and delete the .vmss file. Note: Anything not saved to disk when the Virtual Machine was suspended will be lost when deleting this file.

Note: Either of these methods are considered hard shutdowns so the usual caveats apply.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the Virtual Machine running... VMware Fusion menu > Virtual Machine > press the Option key and then select Power Off or Reset.

Or With the Virtual Machine closed open the Virtual Machine Package and delete the .vmss file. Note: Anything not saved to disk when the Virtual Machine was suspended will be lost when deleting this file.

Note: Either of these methods are considered hard shutdowns so the usual caveats apply.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to what Woody said, if this happens regularly, it may be a sign that the guest does not understand ACPI (for example, an XP virtual machine imported from Parallels will have this problem). In this specific case, adding the following line to the .vmx config file (while the virtual machine is powered off and Fusion isn't running) will help:

gui.exitOnCLIHLT = "TRUE"

karrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. Woody's method has proven successful and all the saved files

seem to be fine.

Thanks again!

Karen Arrison

karrison@mac.com<mailto:karrison@mac.com

0 Kudos