VMware Communities
rmr0808
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows needs to install driver software for your Ethernet Controller

I have a 2008 24" iMac, 3.06ghz, 4GB ram, OSX 10.5.6

I am able to run Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit via BootCamp without any problems - I am able to access the internet.

When I launch Fusion I receive the following message in Windows:

Found New Hardware - Windows needs to install driver software for your Ethernet Controller

Everything appears to work properly - BUT - I have no access to the net.

I have inserted the Apple install disc's that have all of the drivers - but windows is not able to locate the driver it requires.

Not sure where to go from here?

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd copy and paste it from the reply however do not copy anything beyond the actual code posted and it doesn't matter where in the .vmx configuration file it is as long as it only exists one time and is on it's on its own line. Also the Virtual Machine need to be shutdown, not suspended, and Fusion closed when making the edit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Make sure theBoot Camp partition Virtual Machine's Boot Camp partition.vmx configuration file has the following line and if not add it.

ethernet0.virtualDEV = "e1000"

For help with the location of the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file have a look at or .

0 Kudos
rmr0808
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos
rmr0808
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ,

I have the BootCamp Partition.vmx file open in Text Editor.

There are a number of lines that reference the ethernet - But not the one you've specified.

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:5a:d8:2d"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"

Do I simply type "ethernet0.virtualDEV = "e1000" " in? And if so, dose it matter where I type this?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd copy and paste it from the reply however do not copy anything beyond the actual code posted and it doesn't matter where in the .vmx configuration file it is as long as it only exists one time and is on it's on its own line. Also the Virtual Machine need to be shutdown, not suspended, and Fusion closed when making the edit.

0 Kudos
rmr0808
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help. I was successful in getting my virtual machine connected.

0 Kudos