VMware Communities
pingoo
Contributor
Contributor

Windows media player crashes when I open DRMed files after moving VM to another Mac

Hi,

I found Windows Media Player had became to crash when I open movie files protected with DRM after I moved the VM to another Mac. Last week I bought new Macbook (shown below) and moved my windows VM from old macbook to new macbook. I used "Migration Assistant" to move entire data.

After migration, I have to reinstall VMware Fusion 2.0.1 because it showed the message like "couldn't get connected to VM". After that, I was asked to select that VM was "copied" or "moved". I selected "moved". Finally, I could get VM boot. I don't have any other problems except opening DRM files.

Does anyone have similar issues or the way to fix it ?

Host Environment:

VMware Fusion 2.0.1

(Old Mac) Macbook (black, Late 2007) *

(New Mac) Macbook Pro (15 inch, Late 2008) *

• Mac OS X 10.5.5

Guest Environment:

Windows XP SP3

Windows Media Player 11

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pingoo
Contributor
Contributor

Finally I have solved this problem ! It has been caused by corrupted DRM caches.

At first, open the url shown below.

http://www.universaldigitalcopy.com/support/support_application.html

Next, follow the instructions from 1 to 4 in the section "When I try to obtain a license, why do I get a continuous loop of prompts asking me to upgrade Windows Media Player or Windows Media Security?". I have quoted these instructions in case of trouble to see the webpage.

-

begin quot -

1. Close Windows Media Player, then go to My Computer, then to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users directory. (Vista users, go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows) If you don't see this, that's because it's a hidden folder. See below for instructions on how to set your folder view options to make this folder visible.

2. In this folder there is a folder called "DRM". If you don't see this, that's because it's a hidden folder. See below for instructions on how to set your folder view options to make this folder visible.

3. Select the DRM folder, and select File > Rename from the toolbar menu at top.

4. Rename the folder and hit Enter when done.

-

end quot -

Now run WMP and open the file that has been protected by Windows DRM. In my case, WMP said something like "some components must be upgraded" ( I am using Japanese version of Windows XP). Click OK and then WMP proceedsto retain license from the Internet. After all these instructions, WMP plays media files normally again.

0 Kudos