VMware Communities
coste57
Contributor
Contributor

Windows is shutting down

When I open VMware fusion on my Mac the desktop shows the message "Windows is shutting down....." and I cannot access my icons on the desktop since they don't show up anymore, the screen is only blue and the system seems to "hang". I installed the latest version 3.02 of VMware fusion today, restarted but it did not make any difference at all. I'm using Windows XP Professional.

At the bootom of the desktop is a message showing "VMware Tools is out of date. Choose the Virtual Machine >? Install VMware Tools menue." This doesn't work either and a message is generated "If you are logged in to the guest but do not see VMware Tools begin installing, open the CD-ROM device in the guest with Windows Explorer and double-click "setup.exe". I'm not able to access the CD-Rom device since I cannot see the Windows Explorer on my desktop.

What do I have to do to make the software work regular again? Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Coste,

It looks like the virtual machine is frozen and unable to resume from the suspended state.

You can try this:

1. Quit Fusion.

2. Go to Documents/Virtual Machines. Inside the Virtual Machines folder right click on the Windows XP virtual machine name and select "Show Package Contents". Now in the package contents list delete all files and foilders with extensions .lck, .vmss and .nvram respectively.

3. Right click on the file named Windows XP ....vmx and open it using Text Edit. Now in the Text Edit document look for the entry checkpoint.vmsate= Windows XP.....vmss. If you find this entry delete the entry from the document and then save the Text Edit document.

4. Now try launching the virtual machine and let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos